Thread: indents (2003)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

indents (2003)

After using Word for 5 years, I still think WordPerfect is a better word processor. One of my gripes about Word is that it insists on changing the first line indent, hanging indent, and left indent after I use bullets or numbered lists, paste text, there is a change in barometric pressure, or other reasons I haven

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: indents (2003)

The standard recommendation is never to use the Bullets or Numbering buttons on the Formatting toolbar, or the Format | Bullets and Numbering menu option, but to apply bulleted or numbered styles instead.

If you still prefer to use the buttons: Ctrl+Shift+M will decrease the left indent of selected paragraphs, and Ctrl+Q will reset the paragraph formatting of selected paragraphs to that of the underlying paragraph style.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.
    Looks as if I'll have to spend a couple of minutes learning how to apply styles <g>.

Thanks

And, to add to what Hans said, you can get Word to apply bullets the way you like them. If you click the button and get a bulleted paragraph, and it is indented in a way you don't like, then click the format menu and then select bullets and numbering. You can then use the Customise button to select the bullet, and the indents. That should then come up as your standard bullet format next time you click the button.

Getting to grips with Styles would be a good thing, though, for many reasons.

Ian