Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating Paragraphs with Numbers and bullets (Word 2003/XP SP2)

I am trying to create a song book that is automatically numbered for each song. Each song contains several lines. The first line will have the number first, with no period after the number, 2 spaces, then the first line of the song. After the first line, an 'Enter' is done, and a bullet is to represent where a new line starts. Let me see if I can explain better - The songs are called 'bhajans' and are sung with a leader singing a line, then the group repeats the line. The leader sings the 2nd line, and the group then sings the 2nd line, etc.
    In order to index the book, I need each song numbered. But I need numbers added to paragraphs - not to the next line.
    Instead of allowing me to do a 'hanging indent' that shows what is included in a line and starting a new line with an 'Enter', the group wants the 2nd and subsequent lines of the song marked with a bullet.
    Normally, when I do automatic numbering, every time I hit the 'Enter', a new number will appear. Instead, I will need a bullet, until a new song is started, at which point I need the number to change to the next number.
    Every line is to be aligned to the left and matches the placement of the 1st line text. The bullet appears at approximately the place where the period would be in the number. The period is to be eliminated because it is confusing to see both the period and a bullet.
    I am not a whiz at this, and all I can seem to do is to number each song individually. There will be approximately 400 songs in the book, and I am having to renumber everything whenever I want to insert a short song in a space in between previously numbered songs.
    I also do not see where I can put in numbers without having a period following the number.
    Is this going to be possible to do?
    Have I made this clear enough for anybody to understand? If so, does anybody know how I can do this? If not, perhaps I could send you a couple of the songs that I have manually created?
    Thank you very much,
    Julia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating Paragraphs with Numbers and bullets (Word 2003/XP SP2)

Julia,

By the way, you don't need numbers for an Index. Perhaps you mean Table of Contents?

Are you familiar with styles? Styles are the most powerful feature of Word.

Here is how I would approach the problem:
    - Create 2 styles - "Other Song Line" and "First Song Line"
    - Change Style for next paragraph in First Song Line to Other Song line.
    - Set them up using outline numbering with First Song Line numbered and Other Song Line bulleted.
    Be very careful to follow the advice in http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/...eNumbering.html

I have attached a sample.

Best of luck,
    Judith
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Judith!
    No, I am not familiar with Styles, but I will be soon! I will faithfully read the info at the link you sent me (I printed to an MDI file so I don't lose it). The sample you sent me shows what I want, except that each line we sing usually has more than '1 line' in it. What I mean is, the line is frequently long enough to take up 3 ines of a column. But as long as an 'Enter' is not done, it should maintain correctly automatically, I trust.
    Yes, I need an index, because everybody needs to be able to find a particular song by looking at an index that carries the entire first line of a song, and gives the song number. They also want a page number given in the index.
    I don't suppose it's possible to get and index like that done automatically, is it?
    The Table of Contents will contain info about the different sections - Pronunciation Guides, Reasons why you sing to God, the main meeting format, and the pages included in the song section.
    So I consider the Index as far different from the Table of Contents. We have also decided to separate the song and meeting/intro sections for our ease, considering our basic knowledge.
    Thank you very much - I'm almost encouraged here!
    Thanks again, Judith!
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This Macro will delete all existing Index entries, and then add a new index entry for each line that is of the style "First Song Line".

StuartR
    <code>
    Sub AddIndexEntries()
    Dim para As Paragraph
    Dim fld As Field

<font color=448800>' Delete all existing index entries</font color=448800>
    For Each fld In ActiveDocument.Fields
    If fld.Type = wdFieldIndexEntry Then fld.Delete
    Next fld

<font color=448800>' Add a new index entry for each top level list item</font color=448800>
    For Each para In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
    If para.Range.Style = "First Song Line" Then
    ActiveDocument.Indexes.MarkEntry Range:=para.Range, entry:=para.Range.Text
    End If
    Next para

End Sub
    </code>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Judith,
    I have not yet done all the reading I need to, but my first question is about the Outline Numbering. I am only going to have one set of numbers, not outline numbers. Will all that information confuse me or give me the basics anyway. If I need something else, how would I state myself if I want to search the FAQ that Shauna Kelly gives links to, in order to get info for just one set of numbers? Or will all this be answered by the time I read this?
    Thank you,
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Stuart,
    This looks absolutely amazing! Where is the Index going to be created? Do I just go into Macros and say 'create', I assume?
    Can the index be in another file that references this one? Or does it have to be attached to the end of the same file?
    Also, it looks to me that I need to make the style name "First Song Line" - right? I have never created a macro and the window that opens up is very confusing. But I assume that I will simply type in what you have here. I remember something vaguely about using a macro in all files or just this one - will that be clear to me that it is supposed to work only on this file?
    Gosh, I hope my brain can do all this - all this information sounds like it should truly work wonderfully if I can do it!
    Thank you both for your help. It is very much appreciated.
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For instructions on how to create a Macro in word, have a look at star<post#=21373>post 21373</post#>

The Macro that I supplied marks all the index entries, it doesn't put the index itself into the document, you do that from Word's Insert Menu, (Insert > Reference > Index and Tables).

I assumed that you would use the styles that Judith created in the document she attached to <post:=603,591>post 603,591</post:>

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Stuart,
    Yes, I am planning to use exactly what Judith supplied, although I am still wondering if I have to tend to all the outline levels when I only plan to have one set of numbers.
    I made a print of the instructions for the macro creation - thank you very much.
    Do I assume, then, that the Index has to be in the same document as the text? That's the way it sounds to me. I assume I can just insert a blank page before I use the Insert command so that it doesn't start right at the end of the songs - right?
    I have to tell both of you, Stuart and Judith, that you are making my whole week with all this help. I hope my brain will be able to grasp it all and make it work. I will give it my best.
    Thank you very much,
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Julia,

You need an outline list because you are using 2 levels - the first level is the numbered first lines and the second level is the bullets for the remaining lines.

Yes, the index does need to be in the same document as the text, but once you have created it you could take a copy into another document (Edit Copy, move to other document, Edit > Paste Special > Plain Text).

Good luck, do let us know how it goes.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Julia,
    We seem to have thrown you in the deep end - but believe me it's necessary. What you are trying to do is quite sophisticated, and what you'll learn by doing it will stand you in good stead. Once you've found the power of styles, you'll save so much time and effort.

Numbering in Word is full of bugs! Some are by design and some are just bugs. Shauna's article is the best starting point I know for avoiding the bugs.

As Stuart said, you need the Outline list because you have two levels.
    The point I must stress is "Never change numbering or indents without starting at the highest level of the outline list".

In your case, always start at First Song Line. You can change the font, space before, justification, language and other features of Other Song Line using Format->Style.

To put it another way, if a feature can be changed through Format->Style->Numbering change it there and NEVER anywhere else.

Let us know how you go.

Judith

New Lounger
    Thanks

The Index can be in a separate document if you want it to be. You just need to reference the document containing the songs.

1. Create a new document which will contain the Index
    2. Insert a field by pressing Ctrl+F9
    3. Insert rd (reference document) followed by the full path and filename of the song book. You will need to use double backslashes eg.{rd "H:aaTestIndexTest.doc"}
    4. Then insert your Index

Carolin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

By now, I say Hi, everybody, don't I?
    I can't tell you how much this is appreciated. I am sharing this with our song leader as well. You are right - you are throwing me in the deep end, for sure. However, I agree that once I learn, it will be a huge plus for me. I have a slight brain injury that affects my ability to make logical connections and all this is a little scary for me. But considering that I have all you people helping me, surely I can do this. I may ask some stupid questions sometimes, and I ask your patience with me beforehand - it's a bit embarassing to have just enough of a brain injury to make things difficult sometimes.
    I may not be asking more questions right away because there is someone here (in Costa Rica) who needs some immediate help with her English, and I sorta' have to do either/or at the moment.
    Thanks also for the info about the index being in another file - I feel much better with that.
    Wish me luck! And thanks again!
    Soon,
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Carolin (and StuartR, too)
    I am starting to work with the song book. Let's see if I can figure this out. I am going to create the macro that marks the entries in the actual song book. I have typed 3 songs now, to test, using Judith's sample document. Now, I am going to open a new Word document (I can keep the song book open at the same time?). I am going to insert a field per your instructions, using the path on my computer & double slashes. Then I am going to go to Insert>Reference>Index and Tables).

I am just realizing that the group is requesting that the page numbers be included in the index, as well as the song number. Is that possible?

Oh, I guess I need to ask Judith about something else I realize is going to be needed - I'm not sure if I include it here or if I need to 'reply' specifically to her post - but here it is. As I look at my previous typing, I see there are 2 more things happening. I am guessing that I must use styles to do this, and having typed 3 songs now, I see that I need to select the 1st song line and I have 'Entered' twice, to start a new song, but that 'Song Line Two' follows the First line automatically.
    Now here are the curve balls: occasionally, a song has a 'chorus' which follows the 'Song Line Two' . So, I must create a style with that particular font and indenting and select it to start typing the chorus. Oh my God - I thought I could get away with using Judith's Styles and I see I won't be able to do that. Oh, boy!
    Here's the second one: Some of the songs are in Sanskrit and are followed by the Spanish translation of the song - Okay - I think I'm getting the picture - another created style in the font and indents required, selected after I have 'Entered' twice.
    I think I have answered my own question here - that a new style will have to be created for both the chorus and the translation, as well as an English translation when included in a future book I will be doing.
    Well, I have to tell you, my brain felt like mush until I realized I could use Judith's sample and now, it feels like mush again and I am - I don't know how to describe it - I don't have the faith in my brain functions that I had before the accident and - well... But not to worry! I know I'll give it my best shot! And I appreciate all of you.
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Judith!
    Yes - I see it here - the ability to send a file. I am replying only to your post within the thread, assuming that works best.
    This is my first time to try this. I have 2 files - 1 with the book, and the other with the print screens. I hope both go to you.
    Thanks again!
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This looks good, are there any other changes you need help with?

I have modified your "Other Song Line" and "Chorus" styles to include 7pt space before, with no extra space between paragraphs of the same type, and then deleted the blank 7pt lines you had added to get the spacing you wanted. This will help to ensure a more consistent appearance.

StuartR

PS. If you want to post 2 attachments then you can either use a program like Winzip to zip them into a single file, or you can just create two posts, with one attachment on each.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast