Thanks

Odd Error Messages (Odd Error Messages After Reinstalling IE 6)

I recently reinstalled IE 6 on my WIN98SE PC and after the new install and reboot I started getting error messages. They are as listed;
    An error occurred loading "C;WindowsSystematl.dll"
    An error occurred loading "C;WindowsSystemproctex.ocx"
    An error occurred loading "C;WindowsSystemdxtmoft,dll"
    An error occurred loading "C;WindowsSystemthumbvw.dll"
    An error occurred loading "C;WindowsSystemtdc.ocx"
    Are these necessary for IE 6 to run correctly on my PC? I do at times have a problem with the IE 6 locking up on me. I know it is just the Internet because I can go to any program I have installed on my PC and run it without any lock ups. I don
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd Error Messages (Odd Error Messages After Reinstalling IE 6)

atl.dll and thumbvw.dll are Windows system files.
    tdc.ocx is a VB ActiveX control (Tabular Data Control)
    proctec.ocx and dxtmoft.dll don't turn up anything in a Google search.

I'd use an application such as Spybot Search and Destroy to check which browser helper objects are installed. You could try turning them off to see if the problem goes away (Spybot S&D lets you disable them).

Thanks

Thank you Hans for your reply. I have Spybot S&D but I am not sure how to use it to find out wich 'browser helpers are installed'. i know how to up date and scan my PC with Spybot, but I am not sure on any other use of it. Can you give me some details on checking which browser helpers are installed?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure that Advanced mode is selected in the Mode menu (i.e. it has a check mark).
    You will then have buttons on the left hand side.
    Click Tools, then click BHOs.
    See screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (39.3 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

Thanks Hans for your reply. I went to Spybot S&D>Advance>Tools>BHO and found two items with red check marks, I should have made a note of them, but I was so anxious in ridding my PC of the lockup problem that I removed both of them as soon as I saw them. I went back to allot of the sites that my PC would lock up on and it did not lock up any more. About a month ago I went looking for a good movie joiner and downloaded about six before I found a really good one. I thought I cleaned my PC of all traces of the joiner programs that I did not like but it looks like the two items that I deleted from the BHO list were left over from the unwanted joiner downloads. They dated from the same time period that I was downloading the joiner programs. I'll run my IE for a week or so to see if the problem comes back. I will let you know if anything changes. Usually when I remove any program from my PC that I don
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could also take a look at the ActiveX section (immediately above BHOs) to see if there are items marked in red.

Another program I find very useful is SpywareBlaster. It prevents a large number of malware programs from installing themselves. It works in the background - you don't have to run scans as with Spybot S&D. It's important to keep it updated - I check for updates once a week, but you could do it more frequently if you like.

Thanks

Thanks Hans. I have Spywareblaster abd I cant understand how with it running in the background how I find spyware and malware when I run Spybot. Have you seen my posting on WIN98?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know how you manage to collect malware. With up-to-date firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware, you ought to be pretty safe...

I did see your post about Error #8 in the Windows 98 forum, and I did a quick Google search, but I didn't come up with much that seemed relevant, except for the link already posted by DocWatson. Sorry.

Thanks

Thanks hans. The link given to me is very confusing. There is a way I can fix my registry and that is a complete reformat. I do that every 3 or 4 months to get rid of any garbage that might be hanging around. Maybe its time for that. Also the problem with IE locking up has not happened since you gave me that fix the other day.
    Catz