Thread: Deleting links

New Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting links

When I delete a URL link from IE5.0 it takes a very long time - 25 -30 seconds, the hard drive seems to be doing endless reads/writes. I have an AMD 1.2Ghz machine with 256mb ram and a 38GB hard drive partitioned as C: 3.9GB, D: 32GB and E: 2GB. The C and D drives are NTFS. The E is Fat32. The OS is W2K. I have defragged the drives and looked for settings that might cause this but no luck.

Thanks, Jim Hilt

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting links

Long shots :

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm guessing from your post that you are right-clicking on the favorites menu to delete the bookmark/favorite.

Try clearing the history file. If the menu response speed is slow you may have a few other options but see if that does anything.

You can also install TweakUI and ratchet down the menu delay.

Most of the delay you are experiencing is probably due to the fact that when IE generates a menu, it has to read all the registry values and make sure it's displaying the right menu options. To work around that, geez, I can't suggest much!
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

We went on vacation and the problem has gone, I did check the default cache size of 125MB which seems excessive and dropped it back. I did clean out many (300) URLs just before we left with AM-Deadlink which probably made the difference (now about 800). I do not use offline file browsing.
    Thanks, Jim Hilt