Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow save of form when in design mode (Access 97)

I have a form that has quite a few controls on it and a fair amount of code behind it. When saving following changes, it takes AGES to do it (e.g. 2 minutes). This often happens even if I open in design mode, make no changes and simply try to close it.

I get these symptoms with all forms that have lots of controls on. I don't know what the thresh hold is, but a form that takes a few seconds to close seems to suddenly take a minute or two.

Any thoughts on this anyone? I have a reasonably high spec PC(P733, 256Mb RAM), running NT 4, sp6, on a Novell network with a 10Mbps connection speed.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow save of form when in design mode (Access 97)

One obvious question is, have you compacted the database recently?

Beyond that, I'll need some more information. Apparently from your description, the database is sitting on a network server. Are other people using the database at the same time? Is this just the frontend to a split frontend/backend database?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I compact fairly regularly.

The database is split, and the users have the MDE front end copied to their local drive every time they open it, with the back-end MDB file remaining on the server. I do my development in the front end MDB file and then create the MDE file from it. Nobody uses the front end MDB file except me at any time, however it does use the same back-end MDB as few other users, but I don't see how that could affect it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have a solution but can offer my condolences. I experience the same problem myself but for me it's not a constant, only occasionally. Restarting my system does alleviate the problem somewhat. Do you find the same symptoms ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's pretty constant with me. I haven't tried re-booting, but that seems like a lot of hassle for temporary relief.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Given your machine speed and memory, most of the "normal" suggestions don't seem appropriate (such as increasing size of windows swap file).

I guess you might trying starting with a clean database and importing objects from old database. Then trying opening/closing forms in new database to see if same problem exists.

If the development frontend .mdb is on the server, I suppose it could be a slowdown there or in network traffic. This would be indicated if the load times seemed to vary on time of day.

Sorry I can't be more help.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a similar problem with a form. It was slow in use, but in particular, when in design mode.

It took me ages to get to the bottom of it.

What it boiled down to was that some how the form had been compiled with an error in the code behind the form. It came to light when I copied the form to a new, blank db and compiled it there.

Also you might want to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=44732&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post44732>read this</A>, as (in the words of charlotte) decompiling can cure some problems you may not even know you had.