Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

WordTmpDDEMod (Word 2002 /XP SP3)

We have recently updated our document management system and this required changing from OMDA reliance to COM.

From another system it opens up Word docs, prints and closes the Word doc. There is an issue on closing the documents.

I've managed to capture the location the issue is being generated.

This is in the WordTmpDDEMod module in Normal.dot.

All I know about DDEMOd is that its a temporary module, when a document is opened, the temp module is created with the documents filepath location. Once the doc is opend the temp module is removed.

Does anyone know about WordTmpDDEMod?
    I dont think we can disable DDE.

The code is in the TMP module is in WordBasic. Which indicates to me, that before my time someone must have programmed
    Can you control or code TmpDDEMod?

diana

Thanks

Re: WordTmpDDEMod (Word 2002 /XP SP3)

This sounds vaguely familiar from the distant past. Have you tried searching for that exact module name here in the Lounge, Google Web and Google Groups?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I worked out how this all gets tied in together.

DDE is a Windows protocol to pass data between applications.

A temporary module gets inserted in the Normal.dot. Once the command has completed, this module gets removed.
    eg. WordTmpDDEMod .

This all gets set with Windows File associations or File types. and in this case the file type .DOC. eg for File type .DOC - Print

The issue is when the document is selected, opened and printed and closed- the document gets flagged as "dirty", because a change is made, then after the doc prints, on the close doc - Word prompts the user to save the changes to the doc - which there is no need to display this prompt. All they want is a print out.

My question is have you had any experience in modifying these switches?
    On the print I dont want to flag the doc as "dirty"

any ideas?

diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you modify this macro? (I don't know if that helps if it is generated on the fly)

If so, you could change the line

[REM _DDE_Minimize][FileOpen("%1")][t=IsDocumentDirty()][FilePrint 0][SetDocumentDirty t][DocClose]

to

[REM _DDE_Minimize][FileOpen("%1")][FilePrint 0][DocClose 2]

or

[REM _DDE_Minimize][FileOpen("%1")][FilePrint 0][SetDocumentDirty 0][DocClose]

Note: I used <!t>[%]<!/t>1 instead of %1 to avoid the problems you had with the previous version of your reply.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>From another system it opens up Word docs, prints and closes the Word doc.<hr>
    Been away for a long weekend, hence my late reaction.
    We had similar issues in the past. This other system is calling Word to perform the print job, through DDE. DDE calls always result in creating a temporary module WordTmpDDEMod in Normal.dot, as you discovered. And the statements in the sub in WordTmpDDEMod are always in WordBasic. The actual statement depends on the DDE commandline issued by the calling application/system. So if you want to change the behaviour, you should look at this commandline, which often sits in an .INI file.
    But if Hans' suggestion did the trick, then never mind of course.