I have noticed that there seem to be quite a few loungers out there that use older, non-M$ supported windows operating systems so I thought this bit of info might be of interest.

ZERT, Zeroday Emergency Response Team, has released a patch to repair a serious flaw in older Windows versions for which Microsoft no longer provides security updates. The patch is being released so users of Windows versions that are no longer officially supported can protect their PCs against increasing attacks that utilize a recently disclosed Windows flaw. The vulnerability, first reported last week, lies in a Windows component called "vgx.dll." This component supports Vector Markup Language (VML) graphics in the operating system.

"A ZERT patch has just been made available for unsupported system versions," the group said on its Web site. The patch has been tested on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3. A word of caution is always warranted when it comes to third-party fixes, ZERT has noted. The group does test its fixes, but does not have the same resources Microsoft does when it produces patches. ZERT does provide the source code of its fix, allowing people to validate what it does. ZERT stresses on its Web site that its fix has no warranties.

Here is the URL to their website:

ZERT Website (thanks to Hans for showing me how to do this)