halsall_mark

Trademark symbols in Email (Outlook 2000)

Hi Everybody,
    I'd like to enforce the use of trademark symbols within emails for our trademarked words e.g. coca cola

Thanks

Re: Trademark symbols in Email (Outlook 2000)

If you are using Word as your email editor, you could maybe use auto-correct to replace
    coca cola
    with
    coca cola

halsall_mark

Thanks for your input, I do know about autocorrect, but unfortunately not all my users use word as the editor.

I quite like the scanning option, although I have over 250 trademark names, so a general disclaimer would look liek a right pigs ear, but at least we are trying!.

I should also point out that I used Coca Cola

Thanks

If it were me, I would be able to set up a content filter that checked for 'trademark ', or 'trademark.' or trademark,' etc. (i.e. 'trademark' followed by a space, comma, or full-stop instead of the

New Lounger
    Thanks

We faced the same problem at my company. We do not want to just catch trademark problems, but actually fix them. Thus, we want to bold some items and add TM or R to some. AutoCorrect was not a good solution since if we wanted to get some attributes (like italics) we got them all, including the original point size. Therefore, we wrote macros for Word, PowerPoint, FrontPage and Outlook

In Outlook, this is a real problem since it uses four editors. For the Wordmail editor, the macro we use in Word works well. For plain text, little is possible except adding an unsightly TM. In the RTF editor, Microsoft does not allow good access to the model and we have not figured out how to correct the text. It is only in the HTML editor that we have provided a solution. We do not use style sheets but inline styles with the SPAN tag. The macro is table driven (so you may be able to substitute your trade-marks) but quite lengthy (to deal with trade names that are in mixed styles) and may not be suited for your use. Please let me know it you want a copy.

-Gabe Fineman

halsall_mark

Hi Gabe,

Very creative - I would certainly like a copy of your macros to assess whether I can implement something similar.

I have never done any but the most basic macro's within word so I may have a lot to learn in this area - do you have to hard code the trademarks somewhere? how many trademarks are you protecting in this way? - if you send a message to halsall_mark@talk21.com I'll pass on another email address to use
    Thanks
    Mark