3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Will Not Load (WinXP/HE SP2)

Thunderbird has replaced Outlook as my mail client; however I have thousands of messages in my old Outlook files. Rarely do I need to retrieve one, but when I tried today I got an error message saying "OL requires MS OL Express 4.01 or greater" (abbr. are mine). I tried looking on the MS site but found nothing I could understand. Outlook.exe is still installed in the MS Office directory. The last time I used it I just double clicked to load and all was well.

Can anyone tell me what I need to fix it? I'd prefer a download as finding my WinCD might be a bit problematic in this rat's nest.

TIA

Thanks

Re: Outlook Will Not Load (WinXP/HE SP2)

I assume you read these articles, but I'm not sure which version applies to you.

OL2000: Error Message: "Outlook Requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater" (MSKB 212991)
    OL2002: Error Message: "Outlook Express 4.01 Required" When You Start Outlook (MSKB 287683)

Did you uninstall Outlook Express? If not, perhaps it has become "unregistered." Sometimes there is a shortcut to re-register a program, for example, with a command line parameter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, jscher!

Both of those links refer to problem resolution using pre-XP versions of Windows, that's what I didn't understand when I read them. Which guidelines does one follow on WinXP/HE? Or, is there a different set of instructions for XP?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PS: I didn't uninstall OL Express. At least I don't recall doing so. How else would it become unregistered? Might some other program's install wizard have caused it to be unregistered? I haven't fooled with OL or OL Express or even IE in quite some time. I switched to FIrefox and Thunderbird perhaps 2 or more years ago. Yes, I know this is a forum for Microsoft products; so perhaps I shouldn't be posting here, but it's the Microsoft product that won't load.

Can you point me to instructions for re-registering OL/E? I didn't see anything in the MS search results that I could identify as germane to this situation.

Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans! This just might do the trick!