2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Relationships and Check Boxes (2002)

Evening all

It

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Relationships and Check Boxes (2002)

I don't understand your table structure. You mention dates of club meetings, but I see a table for SubscriptionDates that contains a MemberID field. I would think that you need a separate table with meeting dates (without Member IDs), and an intermediate table that lists whether members have paid for a specific meeting. You'd use a main form based on the members table with a subform based on the intermediate table. There is no need for a sub-subform.

See <post:=364,203>post 364,203</post:> for some general tips and for a sample database showing how to implement a many-to-many relationship.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

Aye, I didn't understand it either!

The version prior to this one had a many to many with a Paid Table in the middle containing the foreign keys from each of the Members table and Dates table. But that didn't work either so I changed it.

I'll go away and change it back and read the many to many post you advise.

Congrats on the 50K posts.

Regards

Graeme

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Ok, first off please read meeting and subscription as the same thing. Two two got blured during evolution.

I've done what you propose but there's no meeting date on the form now to reference the paid status per meeting per member.

If the tables are:

Members------->Payments<---------MeetingsDates

How do I structure a query in order to display the information from all three tables with only one sub form? I've tried a Members/Payments query and a Meetings/Payments query, neither allow the paid/notpaid check box to operate correctly.

Regards

Graeme

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I wouldn't use a Yes/No field. A record in the Payments date represents a ... payment, so you don't need an extra check box. See the attached version (lacking bells and whistles)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the attachment. I'll build on that to list both members per meeting and meetings per member on different forms as per the courses and students format in post 364,203 you advised earlier.

First though, I will need a way of recording a payment since I need to differentiate between dates of meetings and whether or not a member has paid their subscription for attending a meeting on a certain date. The first design I attached didn't really show this but I did say I've not done a database for a while!

The plan is that the user will enter the dates of the meetings in TblSubscriptions, probably should be called TblMeetings really, then the main form will display a record for each member and all the meeting dates each member could have attended as a function of their joining date. Then there needs to be a separate way of recording receipt of that member's subscription for each meeting.

If a check box is not ideal then would a pair of option buttons work better? (Paid/NotPaid) And finally, in which table would this field reside?

Sorry to appear clueless. I'm sure it will all fall into place once the basic structure is right!

Regards

Graeme

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could use the table structure from my previous reply, and create a query to display the info you want in a subform. See attached version.

Note: this subform is not editable, so you'll need another form to enter / edit payments.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perfick!

Thanks