5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Drive - Dell Inspiron 7000

A friend has a Dell Inspiron 7000 on which the hard drive has crashed. The system specs are as follows: Processor = Pentium II, 366 MHz, 384 MB RAM, 14 inch screen, and hard drive was 14 GB. First question is do you think this system is worth fixing? Second question - where is the cheapest place to buy a replacement hard drive? Third question - will any notebook hard drive work or do I need to find one specific to the Dell Inspiron 7000?

Thanks for your help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hard Drive - Dell Inspiron 7000

Any piece of computer equipment is worth fixing, if you have a need for the equipment, and the cost of the repair doesn't exceed the cost of new equipment (plus disposal of the old). That's the high level answer.

Now, with it being a Pentium II - 366 MHz, it's on the slow side for a current vintage Windows installation. So that may in itself be the deciding factor. Personally, I wouldn't be looking to put anything greater than Windows98 (from MS) on the PC. I would however, consider one of many Linux distributions if I knew my needs were only modest. By modest, I mean the typical word processor, internet browser, email, IM. Nothing too heavy.

As for what hard drive to purchase, as far as I'm aware, you'll be okay with any notebook hard drive, as long as the BIOS on the notebook can read the size of the drive. The Dell website may offer some information regarding this.
    Christopher Baldrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hard Drive - Dell Inspiron 7000

As far as shopping for "the best" prices, two places I usually start are:

Pricewatch.com
    or...
    PriceGrabber.com

... in addition to any vendors where you happen to have a feeling of trust and good previous experience.