Silver Lounger
    Thanks

ComputerName Information (XP)

I'm not sure if this post applys to the Windows XP forum but that is the operating system I have.

If I know the computername within our domain, is there any information available regarding the location, owner and etc. of that particular computer?

Thanks,
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ComputerName Information (XP)

To obtain the information about computer registered owner and organization, existing user accounts, installed programs, etc, you have to have Administrator password (or username and the password of the account with Administrative rights) of this computer.

Information about physical location of the computer is generally unavailable (except it is specially provided). However, computer IP address can give you some information about computer location (sometimes you can figure out where particular subnet is located, etc.)

For more details, contact your domain administrator. If you are your domain administrator, use a tool as phpMyInventory or similar for keeping track of software licenses and hardware inventory in a domain.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Check out PsInfo in Sysinternals Freeware - PsTools.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

PsInfo gives you what's available from the registry (and possibly by some minor hardware inquiries).

If you need to know lots more about the machine, like the detailed hardware and software configuration, then you need to install and run Belarc Advisor on the machine itself. But you may have difficulty fulfilling their licensing conditions if you have a commercial domain and are not a charity...

There are other such products which tell you details about the contents of a PC, but I've never found a way to run any of them in any practical manner remotely, because they need user interaction.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

John,

aida32 - Google Search can easily be run automatically at boot time in a domain. I guess you could then use Sysinternals Freeware - PsExec to execute it any time you needed. The only unfortunate thing about this program is that it is not being developed or supported any more. While it may work OK on most PCs now with Vista on the horizon who knows.

Joe
    Joe