Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with Power Options (SP2)

I am having problems understanding what happens with Power Options in the following environment.

Situation:<UL><LI>New-ish Dell GX520 ("local PC") in a Windows Server 2003 domain environment (actually there are three of them!)<LI>KVM switch, so probably no screen, keyboard or mouse attached at power-on/logon time to the "local PC"<LI>User logs on from a remote PC to the corresponding "local PC" on the domain using Remote Desktop via a VPN connection<LI>Power Scheme 0 (Home/Office Desk) is being used) with all options set to "Never"<LI>Hibernation done by a scheduled PsShutdown command run on a timed basis from the server<LI>Wakeup done by a scheduled WakeOnLan command run on a timed basis from the server[/list]Complicated? Not really - it all works rather well with the apparent exception of the Power Scheme confusion.

I am trying to set a single Power Scheme (the Home/Office Desk one) using POWERCFG, which would apply to any user which logs on (and I don't really want them to be able to change this, but ignorance is probably adequate security here!).

I am not clear whether PowerCfg /query "home/office desk" is showing me the information from HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftCurrentVersionControls FolderPowerCfgPowerPolicies0 or the equivalent HKCU values (for the Domain Admin account I am using). It doesn't help that the data is in binary.

Whatever is happening, one (and just one) of the three "identical" PCs is going into hibernation for no obvious reason a small number of minutes after it wakes up (before a user has time to connect to it remotely). I suspect that this is because the absence of the monitor and/or keyboard and/or mouse is making the PC think it is on DC power (but that's purely a guess). The original standby-timeout-dc setting was 10 minutes, but I have (now) changed it to 0=NEVER with PowerCfg, which I hope has been applied to both my Domain Admin account and to the machine settings.

I suspect I will have to export the data from the HKLM registry value and import it to each of the HKEY_USERS entries.

Is anyone exceedingly familiar with this whole area?

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Problems with Power Options (SP2)

John,

Assuming that the power options are set identically, is the registry data returned by the /query the same for a domain user and local 'administrator' on your PC? If so, you could perform a little experiment locally where you change the power option on your PC for the user then login as 'administrator' and see what the PowerCfg /query returns?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe - the difficulty with the suggestion is that an "ordinary user" doesn't have the authority to change the standard power scheme options unless you mess around giving permissions on the various keys and values in the registry.

I am tempted to think that my theory about the PC thinking it's on DC power may be right (or be having a similar effect), because having changed all the "DC" values to NEVER using PowerCfg, my monitoring BATch file didn't see it going into hibernation over a five hour period. No explanation why just one of the three PCs does this, though.

Reboot everything and do more testing again tomorrow!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

John,

I realize that the 'ordinary user' can't modify those settings. I was just suggesting the experiment so you might be able to identify the correct registry key tree segment you need to change.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

By sheer accident I stumbled upon Returning from Hibernation Sets the Inactivity Timer to Five Minutes, which described the problem exactly, but provides no solution!

I am now attempting to see whether Standby (which PsShutdown appears to call Suspend?) gives the same invalid results...

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...