2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Only one DVD drive identified (XP PRO, SP-2)

Hi,
    My PC has Windows XP, SP-2 with up to date patches. It works fine, and has done so for a number of years. Just recently I decided to install a DVD burner in addition to the DVD drive. No matter what combination I set the two drives as having, swapping between master/slave, XP only sees the master DVD drive. Both drives are identified correctly in the BIOS and POST, and there are no errors displayed in device manager but there is only one DVD drive displayed. The same happens when I look in computer management. Each identified drive works correctly. My PC has a Gigabyte motherboard, AMD XP 1800+ and an Award BIOS (6.00PG).
    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Zinger

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Only one DVD drive identified (XP PRO, SP-2)

Do you have a different (new 80 pin) IDE cable that you could try? Perhaps one came with the new drive?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, swapped the cable with an 80 pin cable that works in another computer.
    Went through the "Add Hardware" wizard, with no success.
    Each identified DVD drive works correctly under Windows, even though the BIOS identifies two in the boot process.
    Will create a bootable Windows CD/USB drive, using BartPE or similar and will see if the two DVD drives are then available.

Thanks

You can always try ( if you haven't yet ) try setting the drives to "CS" Cable Select. I've seen some Western Digital drives get picky as to how the settings are with DVD drives.
    Worth a shot anyway.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion,
    Will try a number of combinations later on tonight.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Once I saw a DVD double layer burner, which blocks any second device on the same controller (ribbon cable), with any combination of jumper settings (master/slave/cable select). The only way was to connect it as standalone (master) drive on the secondary controller and move another device to the primary controller.

By the way, if you are planning to copy DVD to DVD (CD to CD), it is recommended to connect drives to different controllers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It appears that this abberant behaviour was only one symptom of a greater underlying issue.
    I now cannot start the PC, with the system re-booting as as soon as it gets to amdagp.sys.
    It won't start in safe mode. A partition restore of an image from a previous working system exhibits the same re-booting issues.
    Trying to repair using the original XP CD, causes a failure. Trying to run a Mini Windows from a bootable CD cause the systems to hang.
    My next and last step is to flash update the bios, take out the AGP video card and replace it with a PCI card, reseat the RAM modules and generally poke and prod any bits that can work themselves loose, and if I have no joy with that, will end up buying a new bare bones system and re-using my drives.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Zinger