5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bookmark / Text box (Word 2002)

We have text boxes placed in the first page and primary headers of some document templates so that we can add "stamps" to the document if the user wishes. These "stamps" would be text such as DRAFT, COPY, etc. The user can change and remove them with a macro which relies on a bookmark in each of the text boxes.

Occasionally the bookmarks get removed. I'd like to be able to replace the bookmark to the text boxes, but I'm having a bit of trouble writing the code. I always know the index of the text box, which I am supposing to be the Shapes collection. Is that correct. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to set a range in Shapes(x) so that I can add a bookmark?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bookmark / Text box (Word 2002)

When I needed to do something similar I set the Name property of the textbox, in the code that created it. I could then access it as Shapes("txtboxWatermark") or whatever name I had used.

To access the range inside a textbox you use ActiveDocument.Shapes(n).TextFrame.TextRange.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks. I'll give this a try.

Richard

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That worked beautifully. Thanks again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After all the luck I had yesterday, I've hit a glitch today. I'm putting a bookmark into Shapes(4) of the first page header and another bookmark into Shapes(1) of the primary header. The bookmarks "landed" perfectly yesterday and again this morning. We tested this with a user who had a problem. Once I put the problem document on my system, I've had the same problem the user had... both bookmarks go into the first page header. My code is below; perhaps you can identify a problem with it. My question, however, is how to "name" a textbox when I crate it with code. I see properties for orientation, left, right, height, width and anchor. Can you assist me with the Name property?

Thanks.

Code I'm using that functioned well yesterday, but not today..
    With ActiveDocument
    Set rng1 = .Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterFirstPage).Shap es(4).TextFrame.TextRange
    .Bookmarks.Add "Watermark1", rng1

Set rng2 = .Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Shapes (1).TextFrame.TextRange
    . Bookmarks.Add "Watermark2", rng2
    End With

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can do something like this:

With ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientatio nHorizontal, 10, 10, 300, 100, Selection.Range)
    .Name = "MyTextBox"
    End With

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans. What appears to be happening is Word is combining the first and primary headers' shapes collections into a single collection. That's fine, if it were consistent. I think the best route is to use the names objects.

Thanks agian.
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Floating shapes in headers and footers are hard to work with because all headers and footers in the entire document share one collection of shapes. See <post#=167,988>post 167,988</post#> and <post#=157,050>post 157,050</post#> for examples of the complicated code you need to deal with this. It's slightly easier if you use inline shapes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is exactly why I recommended that you use a Named text box, it just makes everything so much easier.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes... that really is the answer. I also realize that I can apply a name to an existing text box, which makes things easier all around.

Thanks, Richard