4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access project (Office xp Access 2003)

I am adding check constraints to an Access project data base. The constraint works in that I cannot tab out of the row with the error, but the validation text does not show. Any thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access project (Office xp Access 2003)

The Validation Text should show when you do not satisfy the Validation Rule, which can be applied to an individual control or field.

Is that is what is going on here?

Otherwise I think you need to explain in more details what your check constraints are, and where you have put them.
    Regards
    John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have created an Access project called Computadoras.asp, which accesses a newly created database in SQL Server 2000. One of the tables is called Departments, and includes a field called IDDept. I right-click on the field to open the properties, select Check Constraints, and select the constraint CK_IDDept. The expression for the constraint is IDDept IN('100', '200', '300', '400', '500'). The Validation Text is Not Within Range of Dept Numbers. The box to apply to INSERT and UPDATE is checked. When I enter an invalid IDDept, I am unable to leave the record, but I get no indication of the Validation text.

This is my first experience with the Access projects, and also with SQL.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I notice this in Help:

"Note The Validation Text property is ignored in an unbound form that fills in control values directly from ADO (ActiveX Data Objects (ADO): A data access interface that communicates with OLE DB-compliant data sources to connect to, retrieve, manipulate, and update data.). In this case, you must trap the error and display the validation text in your code."

Is that relevant? Otherwise I have no suggestions.
    Regards
    John