3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading to XP Pro (WinXP/HE SP2)

Recently I've become interested in hosting forums for small groups. Acquiring the skills needed to design, build, and customize pages is eating into the bandwidth on my hosted servers; so I looked into putting a development platform on my home system. I found and downloaded Apache server software, but I lack sufficient knowledge of LINUX and indians to manage this beast. Maybe when I learn more.

Meanwhile, someone on another forum suggested that I use the WinXP Professional localhost server to do my testing and development. That seemed like a reasonable idea until I ran into a $200 cost just to upgrade the OS. (Bill, buddy, this kind of pricing is egregious and will ultimately put your outfit out of business). I could buy a new box with it installed for not much more than that! Sooooooo, I started shopping ebay and snagged a 2002 version of the Professional upgrade for about $65. Now that I've got it, I need some advice from more expert Loungers on what to do with it. (Don't be rude and tell me where to put it, please.)

My XP/HE Version 2002 with SP2 is apparently newer than the Version 2002 XP/Pro upgrade. This caused some hiccups when I explored the CD warning me that going backwards was not a good thing. Well that figures, but can I upgrade with a complete reinstall - as in Format c:/ and the whole nine yards? I really want and need the server capability fo keep my development and tinkering local, but I don't want to got through a complete reinstall and all that it entails to my current configuration if I don't need to.

I have two virgin disk drives - one internal and one USB external - with about a third a terabyte of unused space. Is it possible and feasible to create a dual boot system so that I can invoke the XP/Pro only when I need to do development work? If so, what must I do to make that happen? What will it do to my day-to-day use of the system. Is this a cannon for a housefly? XP/HE has been a faithful a fairly trustworthy companion for about 18 months and meets every need I've thrown at it up 'til now.

Is there a way to restore or refresh and upgrade my XP/HE to XP/Pro that doesn't require major disc manipulation and reinstalling all my apps?

Information and suggestions greatly appreciated and gratefully received.

TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Upgrading to XP Pro (WinXP/HE SP2)

You can and should slipstream XP SP-2 with your CD. See slipstreaming XP (XP Pro) for more information about slipstreaming. Once you have a slipstreamed CD and after you BACKUP your current system, you should be able to upgrade without loss of information. Also, see some of the threads at Windows XP Newsgroups for more information.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howdy Joe!

Thanks for the response.

In trying to slipstream - according to instructions posted at /www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp by Paul Thurrott - my Win XP Pro V2002 with the sp2 upgrade, I keep getting errors in the CMD process. The error says that the pathname or filename is not correct. I'm attaching screenshots of my C: directory and the CMD window. I think I've looked at it too long and have lost the ability to see beyond my mindset.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You have multiple commands on the same line!

You have two Change Directory commands:
    CD
    and
    CD SP2
    followed by
    XPSP2.EXE -X:C:SP2

I suspect is what you actually want is to change to the SP2 directory then run the XPSP2 executable from in there?

If so, do:
    CD C:SP2 followed by [Enter]
    then
    XPSP2.EXE -X:C:SP2 followed by [Enter]

John

PS the Case of commands doesn't matter; it's easier to read in uppercase, even though I always type it in lower case.
    PPS Except above!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

Also, don't forget that the first thing you want to do after upgrading is go to Windows Update to get all the latest patches.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John!

Thurrott was SO precise about the syntax that I followed it 'monkey-see; monkey-do' even though it looked strange to me. Your instructions were absolutely correct. Changing the directory to sp2 the executing the program with the proper switch did the job. I now have a directory with XP Pro and SP2 in it but haven't created an executable CD yet. Should I create the executable then run the WIn XP Pro upgrade (upgrading from HE) THEN check Microsoft for patches? Or, should I download patches from Microsoft into the XP directory BEFORE creating the bootable CD, then create the CD THEN upgrade from HE to Pro?

Also, at the end of this process, I STILL want to upgrade to XP-Pro without having to reinstall all my apps. Am I still on the right track?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe!

Please see my response to John Gray and the questions I posed.

Administrator
    Thanks

I would go ahead and do the upgrade once you have burned the slipstreamed CD. Then after the upgrade is comleted successfully go to WU for the latest patches. You are on the right track.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, John - d@mn! You guys are GOOD !

You talked an old weenie like me through creating a bootable CD, slipstreaming Pro SP1 and SP2, and running an upgrade that DIDN'T involve reformatting and reinstalling the universe.

Many, many, many, many thanks! This system hasn't run this well in months. XP Pro seems to be significantly faster (or did the upgrade just reorg everything and make it happen?)

Can't thank you enough!