3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Snadboy revelation

Hi,

Installed above software after reading a comment about it by Woody. Prompted by an anti-malware alert, I went to check it out and found at least one site saying that it was malware and recommending it be uninstalled.

Simple question - is it safe? (because it's useful!)

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks

Re: Snadboy revelation

Presumably this Snadboy?

Can you give a link to the site that claimed it was malware?

Pest Patrol - for example - lists it as a pest as it captures passwords, but I can't see anything immediately to indicate it may be up to no good.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It helps if you put links in your posts to make it easier for Loungers to assist you. Is this the place you got the software? http://www.snadboy.com/

Not much info on that page, is there? But on the basis of Woody's recommendattion (which I haven't read) he usually researches his recommendations pretty thoroughly, I wouldn't think it an "unsafe" product to use, but...

Can you tell us where you read the bad news you saw?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

By itself, it is not malware. It can be used for legitimate purposes. However, if someone has access to your PC to run it or can convince you to run it passwords could be revealed.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif, hi.

The link for the page I found is at http://virusinfo.prevx.com/pxparall.asp?PX...7&psection=desc

Regards,

Stuart

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There's slightly more information on the George Dillon website, from which I conclude that it's a "password finder" rather like Nir Soft's Protected Storage Pass View (also treated as malware by both Norton AntiVirus and Windows Live Safety Centre).

In passing I would make my complaint, common to many pieces of free/shareware software, that the Revelation software webpage appears to make it pretty difficult to determine what it is the software actually does!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Hornsby Heights, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

I've had snadboy relevation on my emergency disk for years. It's quick to install and is uninstallst cleanly. It simply changes the property of a password control so it can read the hidden password, thus allowing for a quick lost password recovery. It doesn't read the windows password file, simply the form on the screen.

Newer software, concerned about security, have plugged that hole, so, relevation no longer works everywhere as it used to.

I use it all the time when upgrading customers computers, for example: most people never remember their email password. Relevation grabs the passwords for the email accounts, I move them away from Outlook Express onto a more secure client and setup the email acounts without having to make phone calls to the ISP to change passwords.

However, I always uninstall it when I finish the job.
    Cheers, Claude.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks to all of you - it looks as if it is indeed safe, which was my primary concern.

It's certainly a stunningly useful piece of software - I'm forever using it to get my email and FTP passwords when I need to access things using other computers.

Cheers,

Stuart