2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook wil not complete EXit log off (Outlook 2000)

Hi lounge,
    I am experiencing what seems to me a error in outllook and someone might have seen this.

what happens is when I go FIle > Exit in outlook, the application closes but the message box : Please wait while Microsoft outlook exits remains on my desktop.
    If I goto my processes Outlook is still running. anyone know a fix to this problem?

Thank you ahead

Thanks

Re: Outlook wil not complete EXit log off (Outlook

A few other threads where this has been discussed which may help point the finger: <post:=402,059>post 402,059</post:>, <post:=208,493>post 208,493</post:> and <post:=319,923>post 319,923</post:>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hello,

none of these solution help my situation, If I trace back to what I have done , I recently changed my views on my inbox folder, would this cause issues?

Thanks

I doubt it, but may be wrong!

Are you running with a local pst? If so, you could try running Scanpst - see MSKB 272227 : How to find and run the Inbox Repair tool in Outlook.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

whats is a local pst?
    I am ruuning on a microsoft exchange server

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Check out some of the links in "outlook 2000" troubleshoot shutdown - Google Search.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to the other helpful advice you have received:

1. A PST is a Personal Storage File. If you use Outlook on a PC not on Exchange Server, all your Outlook data is in a PST. If you are on Exchange Server, you can optionally create a PST to store Outlook information in the location of your choice instead of keeping it all on the Server mailbox

2. Some suggestions that I didn't see when scanning some of the other replies to you: Outlook has a number of command line switches which help clean up the Exchange side data, they may or may not help you, they won't hurt anything. They must be run after Outlook and all Outlook windows and processes (open messages, separate calendar windows, PDA synchronization software, etc.) are closed. You may need to use Task Manager (Alt-Ctrl-Delete), select the Applications tab) to close all Outlook processes. Then from the Start | Run command box, run these command lines, note that there's a space in front of each slash:

Outlook /cleanfinders
    Outlook /cleanfreebusy
    Outlook /cleanprofile
    Outlook /cleanreminders
    Outlook /cleansniff
    Outlook /resetfolders
    Outlook /sniff

Use these last and only if you continue to have significant problems, and run them back-to-back in this order:

Outlook /unregserver
    Outlook /regserver

Some of the above may not have been introduced until after Outlook 2000 - if you get an error message, and the syntax is correct, don't worry about it.

3. Do you have any non-Microsoft Add-Ins installed? The following menu is from Outlook 2003, I do not have Outlook 2000, but the menu should be similar: Tools | Options | Other tab | Advanced Options | both Add-In manager and COM Add-Ins.

4. What anti-virus software are you running, and does Outlook become more stable if you turn off the email message checking features of your anti-virus?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS