3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer Icons (XP Pro SP2)

In Windows Explorer a number of file types are showing the default icon instead of the associated icon. For ease of solving the problem let's focus on HTM files.

No matter whether I define IE or Firefox as the default browser, the icon shown is Windows default icon.

In HKEY_CLASSES_ROOThtmlfileDefaultIcon on PCs without this problem, the value is shown as "%1"

If I go to Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types and scroll down to HTM, it shows the file will open with IE and in the lower frame the IE icon is shown. However, under Registered File Types the default icon shows for both HTM and HTML files.

If I click on Advanced and Change Icon, the first time I get a dialogue with the message "Windows cannot find the file %1"

Click OK to that and I am offered the icons in %SystemRoot%system32SHELL32.dll, one of these is an IE icon so I select that. It does not change the icon shown under Registered File Types and as I work my way back out, the Apply button is not enabled so obviously it is not picking up the change. Nothing changes in Windows Explorer.

If I associate the file type with Firefox, then in Registered File Types the Firefox icon does display but still back in Window Explorer it shows the default icon.

I cannot find any way to change the icon shown in Windows Explorer. This would be less important to me if it were not for the fact that my work is with HTM files so ready identification does help.

I have tried using TweakUI, RefreshEm and MicroAngelo On Display to rebuild the cache but to no avail. Nothing changes.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do short of rebuilding the PC please?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer Icons (XP Pro SP2)

Answers to some of your questions:

1. Value "%1" in the key HKLMSOFTWAREClasseshtmlfileDefaultIcon means "Use the icon of EXE file currently associated with this file type".

2. The icon you see in Folder Options > File Types applet, is defined by the key HKLMSOFTWAREClasseshtmlfileShellExIconHandler. By default, it is {42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}.
    If you look at the key with this Class ID (CLSID), you will see the following key:
    HKLMSOFTWAREClassesCLSID{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}Old IconhtmlfileDefaultIcon
    The value is C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe,1 which is second icon in iexplore.exe file (Internet Explorer exec) - that's why you always see this icon.

3. To change the icon associated with HTM file you need to break this link, for example, changing the value of the key
    HKLMSOFTWAREClasses.htm(Default)
    from htmlfile to something different, for example, htmfile , and create corresponging keys (or use wizards to create such keys) pointing to the icon of your choice.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer Icons (XP Pro SP2)

In fact the answer was in point 2 of your reply. The value in Old Icon was set to C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe GoLive CS2GoLiveIcons.dll",-2 so I guess that software had screwed things up. Once I changed it the value you gave, the problem was solved.

Thank you so much for this answer. Without it I would have had to consider a rebuild and I would probably have ended up with the same problem. I am grateful.