Star Lounger
    Thanks

Incomplete Table of Figures (Word XP/2003)

I'm 30 minutes away from finishing a manuscript, but so far that final "30 minutes" has lasted a day.

My problem is building a Table of Figures. All the pictures that have captions (and the captions are entered using Insert | Reference | Caption, etc., employing the defaults for "Figure"), but the generated table of figures only picks up certain ones and omit others. The captions all look the same in "Toggle Codes" mode and they all use the default "Captions" style.

As best I can tell, the difference between those that work and those that don't are this:

1) The ones that work are full-page-width pictures; the smaller pix, set off the right or left, don't work.

2) The ones that work keep their text OUT of a text box; the smaller pictures have a text box generated underneath the picture.

I started out putting all the pictures & captions in "text box containers," but then the Table of Figures generator couldn't see ANY of the figure codes it was supposed to pick up. Containerless pictures with containerless captions seem to be the only ones that work. Why is this, and how do I fix it... before I lose my remaining marbles?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Incomplete Table of Figures (Word XP/2003)

The Table of Figures doesn't "see" captions in drawing objects such as text boxes. One workaround is to place all captions in the body of the document. Another workaround is to convert the text boxes to frames:
    - Select a text box.
    - Select Format | Text Box...
    - Activate the Text Box tab.
    - Click Convert to Frame...
    - Confirm.
    Frames are not drawing objects, so captions in frames should be included in the Table of Figures.

See Troubleshoot a table of figures or table of authorities

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Incomplete Table of Figures (Word XP/2003)

Hans,

Thanks for the super-quick reply. I see you're setting a good pace to hit 100,000! I received the e-mail notifying me of your reply just minutes after I discovered frames. It works exactly as advertised, but that has to be one of Word's more obscure secrets. Perhaps in all that I'm trying to make Word do (in this project, page layout for a book), I may be at a point where I should be considering PageMaker or something more powerful. OTOH, I haven't played with -- or even seen -- Word 2007; maybe it's a bit less unintuitive for lesser-used functions.

Anyway, you've made my day. Thanks again.

Jim