Lounger
    Thanks

References - Word & Excel (Access XP)

I have a query about the order of References to Word & Excel Object libraries from an Access database.

My database generates some Excel files, and some Word reports. I have a reference to the
    Microsoft Word 11.0 Object Library and the
    Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library.

When I run the Word reports, I have to reference the Microsoft Word 11.0 Object Library first.
    When I create the Excel files, I have to reference the Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library first.

If I run the Excel files, with reference to the Microsoft Word 11.0 Object library first, then it won't work.
    Similarly, if I run the Word reports, with reference to the Microsoft Excel 11.0 library first, then it won't work.

Is there a way to specify the reference orders so that it will always work?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: References - Word & Excel (Access XP)

Can you post the code you use to create one of them - say a Word report. It sounds to me (just guessing) that there is some code which is ambiguous.

I regularly create both Word and Excel files from within Access, and the order of the References has never matter to me.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: References - Word & Excel (Access XP)

To expand on John's remark about ambiguous code: there are some objects that have the same name in the Word and Excel. Selection is an example.

If you use Selection in your code without specifying what it belongs to, VBA will probably interpret it as an object in the first (topmost) of the two in References. so you should always qualify such all Word and Excel objects. For example, if your application objects are objWord and objExel, use objWord.Selection to refer to the selection in Word, and objExcel.Selection to refer to the selection in Excel.