1. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Password Location in Registry ?

Crew...

Where are passwords stored in the registry? I have used a password view/edit utility in the past (NirSoft PassView)...but for some reason the downloaded app became buggy; & is not recommended anymore.

If I could find the list in the registry...all I want to do is get rid of some of the annoying ones...misspelled entries & that sort of thing.

Thanks,

mark4man
    XP Home
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Password Location in Registry ?

Many passwords are stored in highly encrypted form (for example, user account passwords), other in encrypted form which can be decrypted (for example, passwords for POP3 accounts for Outlook Express). NirSoft PassView program breaks encryption by definition, that's why some Antivirus and AntiSpyware programs recognize it as a threat.

Most likely that what is happen with PassView on your computer - your Antivirus blocks it from executing. You must change your Antivirus program settings to ignore PassView (it is recognized as Hacktool.PassReminder).

Answer to your question: please be more specific - there are many different passwords, but no "password lists" in the Registry.

4. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

kaplinb...

Sorry...I'm talking about logon passwords.

But if what you're saying is true...(that Nirsoft PassView is not actually a threat)...why not download the latest version & keep using it?

Thanks,

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

5. Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    As kaplinb pointed out, many are stored in encrypted form, some can be viewed by PSP (Protected Storage Passview) et al. Depending on what AV/anti-spyware is installed some may find this program nowadays.

Anyhow, are you talking about logon passwords on different Internet sites? It happens frequently that people misspell user name or password, and then the wrong ones are also remembered. (I do not use Autocomplete myself, but have not that many to remember).

To remove individual entries, go to the page, click the field, press down arrow, select entry and press delete.

See older post:
    <post:=321,721>post 321,721</post:>
    <post:=531,793>post 531,793</post:>