2 Star Lounger

Bookmarks driving me crazy! (2002 SP2)

I have a 28 page document, with 13 sections. I have defined 9 bookmarks with the information I want repeated These bookmarks are listed in a table on the first page of the document. The idea is to have the person generating the document type the data into the table and have it populate all the instances within the document. I have created cross-references to the bookmarks in all of the locations I need them. The header also contains cross-references.

All of the bookmarks work to populate some of the fields, but a large number of ref fields only update if I click in it and hit F9. The headers are one of the places that aren't working, and I also find that once I protect the first page with the table, I can no longer click in the header.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how I can fix it. This seems like it should be so simple, but I've spent the majority of 2 days defining, redefining, and searching for answers, and getting more and more frustrated.

Thanks for your help.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Bookmarks driving me crazy! (2002 SP2)

Fields in headers and footers aren't updated automatically (except for fields such as page number). You'll have to print preview or print the document to update all fields, or run VBA code to do so. The following macro (which can be assigned to a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut) will update all fields:

Sub UpdateAllFields()
    Dim aStory As Range
    Dim aField As Field
    For Each aStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
    For Each aField In aStory.Fields
    Next aField
    Next aStory
    End Sub

Also see
    How to update fields in a protected form in Word 2003 and in Word 2002
    Some fields are updated while other fields are not