4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

software for editing .avi file

I don't know if want l am trying to do is possible but l have taken a move with my camera and on turning the camera sideways to get a sideways view l forgot to turn it back the right way up and the rest of the movie came out filmed at the wrong angle. Is there any FREE editing software so that l can edit the file to correct the fotage?

Thanks

Re: software for editing .avi file

Yes. See here: Rotate AVI video files: Canon Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. (Uses the free program VirtualDub)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Movie Maker 2 includes a 'video effect' to rotate videos through 90 degrees.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, my version of window does not have a copy of this program , can you tell me where l can get a copy from?

Thanks

Did you try Googling for it?

Windows Movie Maker 2.1 Download.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And while we're on the subject of "Googling" even though this isn't the purpose of your thread: I don't know how many people are aware of this very helpful StarPost ( <post:=411,859>post 411,859</post:> ) since it's a couple of years old. I use it all the time, especially in a case like yours where I want to restrict my Google search to the Microsoft site.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is not all of the .avi file l want to rotate, but part of it , will Movie Maker allow me to do this?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I downloaded this program, but have not got a clue how you use, it looks very complicated indeed.
    Do you have any ideaa how l rotate part of a file as l have no idea at all! I don't know where to start and what to do at all! Please can you help , l am a begginer at using these sort of programs!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>It is not all of the .avi file l want to rotate, but part of it , will Movie Maker allow me to do this? <hr>
    Yes, the general process is to import the file into a project, split it into clips and then reassemble on the 'timeline' at the bottom of the screen. From the Timeline you then select the clip that needs rotating and apply the 'video effect' to rotate just that part.

From the link in Leif's post ( repeated here ) you'll see that it needs at least XP SP2, so If you don't have it already you may not be able to run it anyway.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's great , one question l have and that is how can l view the clip so it is slightly larger as it is a bit small when l view it in the media player.