Thanks

Setup webcam on my web site

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right category for this question but I'm looking for info on how to setup a webcam that will be available from my web site. I have been fighting with AIM for the last few days to get the live video feature to work but I give up. I see the other person for a few seconds then it disconnects. The AIM help is worthless and searches in The Lounge reveal a slurry of posts about changing ports and firewalls, all which is way too much to deal with (and totally unrealistic for anyone but super geek to do on their own).

What do I need to do to get my webcam on my web site? I've read a few articles but I'm still confused. I'd like my family to connect to my web site and few the video live. Ideally I'd like to see them through their web cam too (which is why I was hoping I could get AIM to work). If I set up my web site to show the output from my webcam, how can I also see them on their web cam? Logic tells me that's not how it works (which is why AIM and other IM programs, have Live Video).

Thnx,
    Deb

Thanks

Re: Setup webcam on my web site

If you want a live image, you usually have to let the other person into your computer. There can be a link on your website, but I don't think there is any way to push the images through the web site, at least not efficiently.

I don't know what articles you found, but this one seems pretty good: Setting up a Live Webcam Feed @ Cisco Press

Thanks

For a webcam on your website, I'd use something like Coffeecup Webcam.
    (Bear in mind that you'll be transferring a lot of data *all* the time, so you need not only a fast connection, but fairly unlimited bandwidth with your ISP...)
    This is only one-way - to see your (remote) family in a reciprocal fashion, they will need their own website and software to update their images.

For video chat, which I suspect is what you really want, try the latest version of Skype - it worked first time for me.

Thanks

Ok I'll try Coffeecup, thanks for the info. I do have Skype but never actually used it more than few times and that was pre-eBay purchase. It was so frustrating to get AIM working with the webcam and after reading so many problems from others, it's disgusting they actually advertise it works (same with other IM programs). I mean if people need to go into their router config and firewall and open 1000's of ports and make other changes, there is no way that 80% of the folks who use PCs casually would have a clue where to start. I wanted the webcam for my brother and sister and they're very beginner with their PCs even after years of having them.

I'll try Skype first as I'd prefer to do the video with a audio portion (hence AIM).

Thnx,
    Deb

Thanks

This is a good article, very easy to follow and totally different than another one I found. I'll do this when I get home from work today. The other article had more to do with writing HTML and other things that seemed overkill. This installation of the media encoder is trivial.

I'll remotely connect to my brother and sister's PC and get them a Skype account (it's easier to remotely do this for them than me having to explain every little step - saves on migraines).

Thanks so much,
    Deb