Thread: Error pair

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Error pair

I have four XP computers networked but only certain of them will exchange data, although all shared folders are visible from all computers, all can access the internet, and the network has worked in past. With one and now two computers I can see the shared folders, but not their contents, from other machines. I am the sole user and I can personally get around it by using LapLink, but it's a nuisance to not have it work as it should. I am working my way through Stuart's star post 589883 and will be happy to provide the details when I'm done, but that is time-consuming and I thought that someone might know the answer from the error messages alone.

I receive two error messages at the same time when I attempt to access the contents of shared folders with the offending computers:

[computer][folder] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions.

And

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

There is plenty of advice available regarding these errors individually, but I get them as a pair.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error pair

I wonder if you have the Guest Account turned on. From a CMD prompt, try checking, as in my attachment.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Are they all XP Pro? Or XP Home? Or a combination?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On all of my machines I the the Guest account turned OFF (see attachment) and we have access to all of the other machines.

What firewalls are you running on each machine and what settings do you have?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by peterg on 19-Oct-06 01:31. Edited to remove question about when to turn on firewalls. I couldn't see the wood for the trees.)</P>Here are my networked computers, by age:
    1. XP Home upgraded from Win 98SE, with 320 MB, 40 GB drive.
    2. XP Home upgraded from Win ME, with 512 MB, two 80 GB drives.
    3. XP Pro with 1280 MB, 60 GB drive.
    4. XP Home (Vista compatible), with 512 GB & 60 GB drive. I have Office 2007 Beta installed on this computer, along with non-beta alternatives. I have Vista RC2 but chickened out on installing it when I saw what I had to sacrifice to do so -- e.g. dual-layer DVD writer. These last two computers have wireless capability, but I haven't turned it on or tested it.

Input is Zoom ADSL with internal hardware firewall, and Linksys 5-Port switch (only 4 ports are available after uplink connection). All connections and lights OK, and all 4 computers can access the internet independently. ZoneAlarm Security Suite is installed on all 4 computers and it is the only software firewall in use.

When I type IPCONFIG or PING at the command prompt, the answer is gone in a flash and I can't possibly read it. Maybe you could let me know (or refine the instructions) to explain how to get a persistent answer. If I look under Firewall | Zones in ZoneAlarm I can get some answers there. I think it's because I'm using a switch, but all of my IPAddress/Site answers are the same. It may have been because I was offline and the switch allocates addresses on the fly. ZoneAlarm reports no Loopback Adapter for the XP Pro machine but NETSH DIAG GUI reports it as OK. I previously used, and still have available, a D-Link router, for which I think each computer had a different IP address. All of these computers have had a clean install since then.

SIW will provide a ton of network information for those of us who have it installed. Interpreting the results is what we need help with. That might be a useful addition to links or tools if it isn't already covered in your extensive post and its links. It reports a different IP address for each computer (but my problem remains).

ACCOUNTS OK.

NETSH DIAG GUI (still offline), by computer number:

1. Network adapters PASSED, DHCP Server (invalid IP address), IP Address PASSED.
    2. Network adapters PASSED, DHCP server (invalid IP address), IP Address PASSED.
    3. Network adapters PASSED, DHCP Server (invalid IP address), IP Address PASSED, Microsoft Loopback Adapter PASSED. DHCP Server (invalid IP address), IP Address PASSED.
    4. Network Adapters PASSED, Network Adress (invalid IP address).

My own quick and convenient overview is to open My Network Places on all computers, set the view to icons and Arrange: By Computer and Show In Groups. (That may not be quite right, but I can get identical displays on all computers showing the shared folders neatly separated by computer.) This shows that I can see all shared folders on all computers from any computer. The catch in my case is that I can't open the folders on two of the computers from any other computer, even though I know its contents from explorer. Computers 1 and 4 will merrily transfer files between them, computers 2 and 3 will do the same with them but in one direction only, and computers 2 and 3 aren't on speaking terms other than to display the shared folders. When a network folder won't open, I get the reported messages. Conspiracy theories abound. Maybe someone can now steer me in the right direction.