4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memory errors in my app (VB6)

Before I start - i'm not necessarily after the answer, I just need to know where to start to try and solve it....

I have an application that is currently used by various different companies without any problems whatsoever.

However, for one company they get the following error:
    The instruction at "0x7c910e03" referenced memory at "0x688bc01f". The memory could not be "written".

It always happens in the same form, but only when that form is opened by a specific form and not always in the same place (it can be when the form opens, before it saves the data on closing, after it saves the data on closing.

App description:
    My main window has a tab with a load of grids on it. There is a grid that when a row is clicked a form called CRM is opened.
    There is also a button that opens a form called My CRM which contains a grid with all of the users active CRM items in it. When that grid is clicked the same CRM form is opened using exactly the same code as from the main window.

However, if the CRM form is opened from the main window everything is fine. If the CRM form is opened from the My CRM form an error can occur (it doesn't always do it). All of the forms use the same controls and code as all the grid loading and form population stuff is in modules.

When if does it:
    It doesn't do it on my machine (with vb and all the licenses for the controls installed), it doesn't do it on the test machine (with just the app as the customer would see it installed). No other customers have reported having the problem. A guy in Support managed to get it to do it but it wasn't anywhere near as frequent as the customer. I added an On error to EVERY sub/function (even the most simple) and his no longer crashes - but that didn't fix the customers.

Where on earth do I begin trying to fix this issue? Without actually getting hold of one of the users laptops, what can I do? On the basis of it only seems to be happening for this one customer I was thinking maybe that they have something else installed that conflicts with my app - what could do this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memory errors in my app (VB6)

Just grasping at straws - you could have the customer check which versions of the various components (ocx, dll) used by your application are installed on their PC, and compare that to the versions you have.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memory errors in my app (VB6)

We have a live update program that updates the dll's. I set them all to download and got the customer to run it so in theory they should all be up to date and new (just in case any got corrupted). However, it is conceivable that this didn't work properly, so I think you are right and it would probably be worth getting someone to manually check them.

Thanks Hans, thats a start at least.