Star Lounger
    Thanks

mail merge with excel. (2003)

Hi all,

I need to do a mail merge. I have an excel file which has the following colmuns: Forenames,Surname,NI No, IS/PC Rate, IB/SDA Rate, DLA Mob, Address DLA, Address IS/PC, Address IB/SDA . I want ot be able to send a letter regarding the same person for all the records e.g. first name, surname, nino to all three adresses in Excel. Address DLA, Address IS/PC, Address IB/SDA.
    Any help much appreciated..

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mail merge with excel. (2003)

You have two options:

1) Create the merge letter with the mailmerge fields, using Address DLA as address field.
    Then select the entire letter, copy it and paste it below itself (on a new page). Replace Address DLA with Address IS/PC.
    Paste it again (on a new page). This time, replace Address DLA with Address IS/SDA.
    When you run the mail merge, you'll get three copies of each letter, with different addresses.

or

2) Change the structure of the Excel data source, so that there are three records for each person, one for each address (using only one address column).
    The mail merge will then be straightforward.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I have 38 records on the excel spreadsheet, and some of the records have 2 addresses instead of three, what I mean byt his is that, one of the addresses is empty.

Please see a sample of the file attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Using option 1 from my previous reply, you could enclose each copy of the letter in a giant IF field:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Address_DLA = "" "" "Address: { MERGEFIELD Address_DLA }
    ..." }

Note: the brackets { } are field brackets, you shouldn't type them yourself; enter them by pressing Ctrl+F9 or by using Insert | Field.

Using Option 2 from my previous reply, you would have a separate record for each address. If a person has 3 adresses, there would be 3 records, and if a person has 2 adresses, there would be 2 records.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks Hans, I manged to work it out.

Thanks again.