Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing menu (Access 2003)

Argh, I'm sure this is easy, but I'm just having a rough time with it.

I do not have a menu bar for my Access 2003. I can't bring it back. I tried right-clicking in the menu area and selecting Customize but to no avail.

Following the troubleshooting, I even went to the Startup menu and made sure that the following were checked:
    Allow Built-in Toolbars
    Show On Toolbars Menu

So now I'm at the end of my rope.

I will state that I've been using a shared database that has some modules. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary that would disable the menus, but I admit that I don't know what to look for. Besides, this happens even with a new database with no modules. Does Access have a central area for modules, much like Word having Normal.dot?

I appreciate any help I can get. This seems like it should have an easy solution, but it's evading me.

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing menu (Access 2003)

Try the following:

- Start Access.
    - Create a blank new database or open an existing database (hold down the Shift key while opening).
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11).
    - Activate the Immediate window (Ctrl+G).
    - Type (or copy/paste)
    <code>
    CommandBars("Menu Bar").Position =msoBarTop
    </code>
    - With the insertion point in that line, press Enter.
    - Switch back to Access (Alt+F11)

Is the menu bar visible now?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I followed your directions. Unfortunately, that didn't work--I'm guessing for the same reason that the Startup dialog box didn't work.

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you select Tools | Customize? Do you get the customary dialog, or nothing at all?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to Customize the Toolbar to create a toolbar for Customize... I do get the Customize dialog box, which is the same dialog box as the one I get when I right-click on the menu. I assume this is as intended.

Possibly not related, but I have a false toolbar on the Toolbars tab. When I select it, I cannot check the box nor can I click Delete, Rename, or Properties. When I click on Reset, it asks if I want to make changes to the ' ' toolbar. It acts like a regular toolbar except that I cannot select, rename, or delete it.

I'm starting to question if I need Access reinstalled. I'd hate to go that route, but I have a decent knowledge of Office and what to expect. This definitely isn't meeting my expectations (then again, Access rarely behaves exactly like Word and Excel).

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds like some kind of corruption.
    You could try
    <code>
    CommandBars("Menu Bar").Reset
    </code>
    in the Immediate window.
    If that doesn't help, select Help | Detect and Repair... in Access itself. This is less drastic than a complete reinstall.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Resetting the CommandBars did not work.

I am trying the Detect and Repair. Thank goodness I can still customize the Toolbars.

Looks like this will take a while. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kevin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>If that doesn't help, select Help | Detect and Repair... in Access itself. This is less drastic than a complete reinstall.<hr>

Sadly, that did not work. I'm going to have to go with the corruption theory. Damn.

Thanks for all your help, Hans. I'm confident it would have gone swimmingly if my Access weren't corrupt.

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's too bad. Make sure you remove all traces of Access from the registry after uninstalling, otherwise you might not eradicate the problem completely.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not a corrupt Access

Well, looks like it may not be a corruption.

In my novice opinion, I think the menu bar was always there, but it was positioned so it wasn't visible (say, with a negative x-value). I just happened to open one of our databases (which does have a couple of modules), and when I closed out of Access, the form shut down first, leaving a brief impression of Access "behind the scenes." For the first time, I saw the menu bar on the left side of the screen. I reopened the database while holding down Shift (since the database took up the whole screen, blotting out the toolbars, as well). I was then able to see the hidden menu bar. It was butted against the left side. I moved it to the top, and now it sticks there.

Granted, it is still a little funny in that I keep moving the menu bar above the toolbars, and when I open Access, it places the toolbar first, but I'm okay with that quirk.

It took a bit of dumb luck to fix this one. At least I have some good suggestions in the archives if Access should act up again.

Kevin