Thread: Crosstab (A2k)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Crosstab (A2k)

<!t>[pre] tags removed by HansV - they caused horrible horizontal scrolling

I want to create a crosstab query from the following select query:

SELECT tblEMP.NME, tblEMP.INI, tblLABTXN.EMP_CDE, tblLABTXN.JOB_NO, tblLABTXN.SUP_NO, tblEST.F_DTE, tblLABTXN.WRK_GRP, tblLABTXN.ALL_HRS, tblLABTXN.TAK_HRS, tblEST.STA, [INI] & " " & [NME] AS Name, [ALL_HRS]/[TAK_HRS]*100 AS [Eff%]
    FROM tblEMP INNER JOIN (tblLABTXN INNER JOIN tblEST ON (tblLABTXN.SUP_NO = tblEST.SUP_NO) AND (tblLABTXN.JOB_NO = tblEST.EST_NO)) ON tblEMP.EMP_CDE = tblLABTXN.EMP_CDE
    WHERE (((tblEST.F_DTE)>=[forms]![frmCalendar]![txtDateFrom] And (tblEST.F_DTE)<=[forms]![frmCalendar]![txtDateTo]) AND ((tblLABTXN.ALL_HRS)>0) AND ((tblLABTXN.TAK_HRS)>0) AND ((tblEST.STA)="F"));

Row header = Name
    Column Header = F_DTE (formatted to month)
    Calculation = ALL_HRS / TAK_HRS * 100

The calculation is in the query and thought I could use that field.
    Somehow I'm getting the error "Scaling of decimal value resulted in data truncation"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crosstab (A2k)

Are all tables located in an Access database, or are they linked from another database system?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The Query "qryLabourTransaction" originates from three underlying tables which are populated prior to to running the crosstab:

SELECT tblEMP.NME, tblEMP.INI, tblLABTXN.EMP_CDE, tblLABTXN.JOB_NO, tblLABTXN.SUP_NO, tblEST.F_DTE, tblLABTXN.WRK_GRP, tblLABTXN.ALL_HRS, tblLABTXN.TAK_HRS, tblEST.STA, [INI] & " " & [NME] AS Name, [ALL_HRS]/[TAK_HRS]*100 AS [Eff%]
    FROM tblEMP INNER JOIN (tblLABTXN INNER JOIN tblEST ON (tblLABTXN.SUP_NO = tblEST.SUP_NO) AND (tblLABTXN.JOB_NO = tblEST.EST_NO)) ON tblEMP.EMP_CDE = tblLABTXN.EMP_CDE
    WHERE (((tblEST.F_DTE)>=[forms]![frmCalendar]![txtDateFrom] And (tblEST.F_DTE)<=[forms]![frmCalendar]![txtDateTo]) AND ((tblLABTXN.ALL_HRS)>0) AND ((tblLABTXN.TAK_HRS)>0) AND ((tblEST.STA)="F"));

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have any fields of type Number, Decimal?

It might help if you could post a stripped down copy of your database. See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Heres a very, very cut down version.
    I've edited the data so its not sensitive.
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume that the tables have been imported from another databas system. The Number fields in the tables have field size 'Decimal'. This is not a native Access data type; it is not fully supported. (Why is it available then, you ask? For compatibility with other database systems). Try changing the field size for the TAK_HRS and ALL_HRS fields to Double (you can do the other number fields to, if you like).

Something else: open qryLabourTransaction in design view.
    Select Query | Parameters.
    Enter [forms]![frmCalendar]![txtDateFrom] in the Parameter column and set the Data Type to Date/time.
    Enter [forms]![frmCalendar]![txtDateTo] in the next row and set the Date Type to Date/Time.
    Click OK and save the query.

Crosstab queries require that parameters in the underlying query are declared explicitly.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Yes I see now.
    A question, if I change the field from Decimal to Double, what happens when import more data from the external database.
    Will they keep the format I give them ?
    tblEst etc are create via make table queries so assume they won't because the query deletes the table first ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use a make-table query, the changes will be undone again and overwritten by the design of the imported table(s).
    It would be better to use a delete query to delete all existing records, then an append query to add the new records. That way, you'll preserve the design.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

It took a while to change the queries but it's running fine now.
    The only thing is, the calculations are incorrect.

TRANSFORM Avg(qryLabourTransaction.[Eff%]) AS [AvgOfEff%]
    SELECT qryLabourTransaction.Name, Avg(qryLabourTransaction.[Eff%]) AS [Total Of Eff%]
    FROM qryLabourTransaction
    GROUP BY qryLabourTransaction.Name
    PIVOT Format([F_DTE],"mmm") In ("Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug"," Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec");

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What exactly is incorrect? The calculation of Eff% or the calculation of the average?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

As the attached PNG:

The first calculation at the top is for September , this calculation is correct.
    The calculation underneath is from the crosstab and the same date range, showing a higher efficiency.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you'll have to calculate the averages differently. Look at the following table:

<table border=1><tr><td align=right>