2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Table of Contents prompt (Word 2003)

A client of mine has the Update fields box checked in Tools, Options, Print tab. It's my understanding that if that box is checked, when you send the document to print (and before it actually prints), Word will prompt you with the Update Table of Contents dialog box if it encounters a TOC field code in your document. That's how it seems to work....

My client has a particular document that has a Table of Contents field code. When he sends the document to print, he does not get the Update Table of Contents dialog box that gives him a choice to update just the page numbers or the entire Table of Contents. I don't know why he's not being prompted. Can you help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

- Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update Table of Contents prompt (Word 2003)

Does this happen only for this particular document, or for all documents containing a Table of Contents?
    Does your client use a document management system? They are known to mess up Word's 'normal' behavior.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linda,

I had this very thing happen to me a few days ago. Normally, when I send a document to print that has a TOC field code, I get the prompt to update just the page numbers or the entire TOC. However, this particular document did not give me the prompt even though it contained a TOC field code. We use the document management system called Worksite, so maybe that's causing the problem as Hans suggests.

This is the only document I've seen this happen on. We're a new law firm and have been in business since May of this year. We use Word 2003.

Russ

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans,

It's only this one document. He is not using a document management system.

- Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If it's just one document, he might try copying the entire contents except for the final paragraph mark into a blank new document. Perhaps the new document will behave better.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying the entire document contents to a new blank document without the final paragraph mark fixed the problem! Thank you so much, Hans! Also, thank you, Russ, for your contribution.

- Linda