Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003 Global template and 'Running Virus Scan

Word 2003 Global template and "Running Virus Scan

When I start word 2003 I see the message at the bottom of the screen "running virus scan" and there is a delay in opening to a blank document. I want to get rid of the "Running Virus Scan" and the delay.

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

My web and Microsoft searches indicate the "Running virus scan is associated with commercial anti virus programs, e.g. Norton AV or Grisoft AV. I do not have either on my machine (WIN2k PRO) and I have verified nether of the files officeav.dll or avgoff2k.dll exist on my hard drive or in my Registry. I do use the Norton Corporate AV security program but it does not have a "office plug-in" capability. I also use Zone alarm pro which has an anti-spam capability and an anti virus feature. The Zone Alarm AV feature is just a monitor of the workings of any other AV programs. I turned off both features in Zone Alarm with no affect to the Word 2003 "Running Virus Scan".

I CAN remove the "Running Virus Scan" by using the "/a" switch in the WORD start command. With this switch included, WORD starts in a flash with NO "Running Virus Scan". The /a switch disables running global templates and macros at WORD start up.

I can achieve the same affect by removing the 5 global template files from the Global Templates and addin window (Tools, Templates and ADD-IN, Global templates and Add-in window). None of the 5 files in the Global templates and Add-in window appear to be associated with any AV program, but they do reside in Windowsstartup and OFFICE11START up sub folders.

Changed the macro security to "LOW".

Added the /m switch to the start command.

This reduced the delay in opening but the "running virus scan" is still there with a delay.

I do not have NORTON AV installed

WHAT I WANT TO DO:

Find a way to start Word without the "running virus scan" message and delay.

What is the connection between the "/a" switch and/ or having an empty Global Templates window and removal of the "Running Virus Scan" message at WORD start??

I have run out of things to try and need need more horsepower and experience to solve this problem.

What is the solution?

THANKS!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2003 Global template and 'Running Virus Scan

You've done a good job of investigating this so far.

What are the file names of the 5 global templates?
    Can you remove them one at a time and find out which one creates this message?

StuartR

Thanks

Re: Word 2003 Global template and 'Running Virus S

It would be awfully sneaky for a non-AV add-in to disguise itself as an AV add-in by changing the status bar. If that's what is happening here, shame on them.

Lounger
    Thanks

StuartR

Yes I have tried removing the files 1 by 1; i.e. 5 then 4 then 3 etc. Same results all the way down to 0. With 0, Word opens in a flash with no "Running......" message. Add 1 file back in, does not matter which one, and the "Running ......" comes back. The name of the files are:
    FILE Associated with

Pc5wd8.dot "ProCite" footnotes/endnotes
    AddrFixr.dot "Dymo" label printer address fixer
    cb.dot Printer formating driver
    Dymo LabelWriterAdd-In.dot "Dymo label printer
    Lookup_9.dot "Wordfast" translation program????

Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How strange, that makes very little sense to me. I am tempted to suggest you try to repair your word installation - it can't do any harm.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

StuartR

I tried your suggestion about "repair". I went to Control Panel, add/remove programs and selected to "repair" MS Office Pro Edition 2003 (contains my copy of WORD 2003). Repair went OK, did not crab about any bad files and did not ask for the original disk.

Started WORD with the same results ---- "Running Virus Scan".

Note: This was unexpected. I had re-named the 5 files appearing in the global templates (just changed extension to .dox from .dot) rather than delete. Two of the files had reappeard in the start up subfolders and .dot files! Renamed these two files so that the global templates window contained zero files and the "Running....." does not appear.

May be this action will trigger someone's memory. Suggestions anyone???

Lounger
    Thanks

How would I check the status bar? Which status bar are you refering to?

Do you know if WORD produces a "start up " log that lists the sequence of events as word starts? If so may be that would give a clue as to what is running at start up.

Thanks

By Status Bar I mean the bar that ordinarily says "Page 1".... I assumed this was where the message displayed.

Perhaps removing the 5 templates from the Startup folder led us in the wrong direction, in the following sense. If something is scanning every template, then we removed what it was scanning, but we did not remove the scanner itself. It lurks somewhere...

In addition to the add-ins available as global templates, there are binary (compiled DLL) add-ins that might be loading, known as COM Add-ins. I can't recall whether the COM Add-ins dialog is available from the menus, but you can add it to your menus or toolbar using the Customize feature. Tools>Customize..., click tools in the left pane, then drag COM Add-ins from the right pane to somewhere handy. Close the dialog and check whether your AV scanner is there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I do use the Norton Corporate AV security program but it does not have a "office plug-in" capability."

Did you think that the "office plug-in" could be built into "Norton Corporate AV ".

Also "I do not have NORTON AV installed"

Norton Corporate AV security program does contain the AV program, unless you have removed it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It might be worth deleting/hiding the Normal.dot file before starting Word, in case something has been tucked into that template. When you start Word, the application will create a new instance of Normal.dot for you if it cannot find the copy it expected. Caution: check the creation date of the Normal template that is attached when you launch Word after deleting/hiding the current one--I believe I have seen Word ferret out other copies instead of creating a new one when I have tried this in the past.
    Regards
    Don

Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000,

I added the COM Add-Ins window and viewed. There were 4 Add-Ins available, two were checked and two were not checked.

Checked:
    Omnipage Pro 14.0 COM Addin
    ScanSoft PDF Converter Help

Not Checked:
    Microsoft Word East Eutopean Fonts Tool
    Web Page Wizard

None of these are AV type files/scanners

So, the COM Add-Ins probably are not the source of the "Running Virus Scan"

Any other suggestions?

Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA,

Thanks for the reply. I am not by any means a Norton expert and now I am confused as to the real status of the Norton Corporate AV and it's use of a office plug in. Post 350353, March 4, 2004 by StewartR indicates Norton Corporate AV does not contain an office plug in. Could it have been added since 2004?

Anyway, I disabled my Norton Corporate AV and it did not change the "Running ...." message.

Lounger
    Thanks

wdwells,

Thanks for the suggestion. I renamed my Normal.dot and started WORD. As you suspected WORD did not create a new Norrmal.dot, but used an old copy. Renamed all the Normal.dot's(there were two others) and restarted WORD. This time I got a new Normal.dot with todays date.

But, the new Normal.dot did not eleminate the "Running Virus....." at start up; still there.

Any other sugggestions?

Thanks!!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you should also check the Registry for add-ins.

I've got the "PDFMaker.OfficeAddin" here (for Acrobat 7.0.5) and this isn't listed in "COM Add-Ins" for Word (2002).
    The (Windows 2000) Registry path for this is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOfficeWordAddi ns".

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Try Tools | Macro | Security; on the Trusted Publishers tab, check Trust all installed add-ins and templates .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast