Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will IE7 overwrite IE6 (IE7)

OK, IE7 is out and people are installing it. My question is, is it possible to run IE6 AND IE 7 on the same machine without having multiple installs of Windows? I don't want to @#$!% up my current install, which for now seems to be pretty stable.

I am guessing that MS will be trying their best to jam this onto our machines as quickly as possible. I am already planning on waiting a while till the bugs get worked out and wait for the first service pack or two to be delivered before I actually install it.

I saw the link to the MS page offering the plugin to block the automatic install of IE7 and I will install that for now to avoid being forced to update. I have MS updates set to manual anyway but you never know what new tricks they will come up with to force it in a back door.

Thanks

Re: Will IE7 overwrite IE6 (IE7)

No, you won't be able to run both. I use Firefox almost exclusively, but did update my IE6 to IE7 last night. I have played around with it quite a bit this morning, and everything seems to have migrated successfully. The only thing that I have found that doesn't work is the context menu when you right click on a link on a web page. The "open in new tab" option is not available IF you have the Google tool bar installed. I imagine Google will provide an update for this before long. Apart from that, everything else seems to be working properly.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Will IE7 overwrite IE6 (IE7)

If you set Microsoft Update to notify you of updates, you don't have to worry about IE7 being installed against your wish. The plugin is meant for large companies that normally enforce automatic updates, without a way for employees to turn them off.

Normally, IE7 would remove IE6. You could create a dual-boot system, with different browser versions. There are alternatives, but I have no idea how dependable they are - see for example Jon Galloway : IE7 Standalone (Updated for IE7 RC1) (far too technical for me).