Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inbox selection bar moves around (2003)

I have a customer problem where the selection bar jumps around in the inbox when she closes a message. What she expects to do is open a message in a full-screen window, read it, close it, and then return to the inbox with the same message still highlighted. But when she gets back to the inbox, a different message is highlighted (very troublesome if she then hits delete expecting to delete the message she just read).

It is not jumping in any pattern I can determine: unread messages, most recent, first of the day, message title, sender, etc. Sometimes it jumps up, sometimes down. Number of messages jumped is variable. It seems that it always jumps to the same message, but if that one gets deleted, then it jumps somewhere else.

This is a new computer, and aparently the local IT team transferred all her settings over from the old one (which also had OL2003). There are no rules, no filters, no macros, no groups. She sorts by date. I've looked through all the options, and they seem ok. I've tried 'reset current view'. I've done a 'Detect & Repair'. She's in cached exchange mode, so I refreshed the .ost file. Nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inbox selection bar moves around (2003)

You didn't mention the settings under:

Tools | Options | Email Options, Message handling section of the dialog, and
    Tools | Options | Other | Reading Pane options;

Will changing any of those change the behavior?

(P.S. she can delete a message without closing it, either through the Delete icon or Control-D, which may be safer with this behavior.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inbox selection bar moves around (2003)

e-mail options:
    after moving or deleting: return to inbox
    _ close original message on reply or forward
    X save copies of messages in sent items folder
    X automatically save unsent messages
    X remove extra line breaks in plain text messages
    _ read all standard mail in plain text

Reading pane options:
    _ mark items as read when viewed
    _ mark item as read when selection changes (had her un-check this, but didn't fix anything)
    X single key reading

Also looked through Advance Email Options, Tracking Options, and Mail Format options. Nothing looked out of place. My options are nearly identical, except:
    1) she is using Word as her email editor
    2) in Tracking Options, she has 'Always send a response' instead of 'ask me before sending a response'
    3) she's using cached exchange mode

Thanks for the tip on <ctrl>-D, I'll pass that on.