5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing toolbar (Office 2000)

My Office shortcut bar often disappears, but I can usually restore it by running "Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar" from the Start menu. However, when this happened yesterday, some of the toolbars on it were missing, and I can't see how to get them back, in particular the Office toolbar. I tried right-clicking on the shortcut bar > Customize > Toolbars > Add Toolbar, but I don't know where to go from there. Under "Show these folders as toolbars", only "Desktop" and "Programs" are now listed, but there were several toolbars previously.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing toolbar (Office 2000)

I think this is a good moment to say goodbye to the Office Shortcut Bar. It is doomed anyway, since it isn't available anymore in Office 2003 and later.

Use the Quick Launch toolbar as an alternative. You can turn it on by right-clicking an empty part of the Windows task bar and selecting Toolbars > Quick Launch from the popup menu.
    The Quick Launch toolbar is easily customizable, and if you wish you can move it to another location, even to the default position of the Office Shortcut Bar (although I wouldn't recommend it)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, Hans.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now I'm having the opposite problem: I can't get rid of the Office shortcut bar! It used to keep prompting me whenever I closed it, asking whether I wanted it to open automatically, but it doesn't do that now. I found some instructions advising Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Office > Add/Remove Features > Office Tools > Mark shortcut bar unavailable, but when I do that, the shortcut bar keeps reinstalling itself when I log on (the system is Win 2000 server). How can I stop the Office shortcut bar from opening, either for individual users or for all?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check the folders Cocuments and Settings<username>Start MenuProgramsStartup and Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup.

If there is a shortcut in either of these folders named Microsoft Office (or something similar), or referring to Osa.exe, delete it or move it out of the Startup folder.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Found it thanks, Hans.