Thread: Themes (SP2)

Lounger
    Thanks

Themes (SP2)

I recently installed a 3rd party themes software which now has total control over how themes are presented on my computer. That is: when I try to use any of the themes which were pre-installed on my computer when it was bought, they do not work. What ever theme I select, including wallpaper and screensaver, the desktop will always revert to the 3rd party theme. If I now un-install the 3rd party theme software none of my on-board themes can be selected so both wallpaper and screensaver revert to the "none" status. I have tried to get some information from the 3rd party vendor but to date I have had no response. Any help in resolving this problem would be most appreciated. I am running Windows XP Pro.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Themes (SP2)

Try the following:
    - Right click an empty part of the task bar.
    - Click Properties.
    - Activate the Start Menu tab.
    - Click Customize...
    - Activate the Advanced tab.
    - Scroll down the list until you see Administrative Tools.
    - Make sure that Administrative Tools is displayed.
    - Click OK.
    - Now open Administrative Tools > Services. Depending on the option selected above, it can be directly in the Start menu, or under All Programs | Accessories.
    - Make sure that the Themes service is started and set to Automatic.

Also: go to Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP, and click on #187, left hand side (Restore Themes Functionality). Click Execute when prompted.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unless it's some kind of "secret," it would help if you say who the third party vendor is or provide a link to the program web site so Lounge investigators can see the beast you're dealing with.

Lounger
    Thanks

Not really a "secret" more of an embarrassment, as I do not usually download free software (very little support). The software in question is "Magentic by IncrediMail". It is like sticky plaster, because I can't get rid of it and restore my desktop functionality to pre-magentic days.

Ed H

Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,
    Tried both approaches and none of them worked. I now think that this software "Magentic by IncrediMail" has truly screwed-up my computer. It is beginning to look like a reformat is the only way forward to get out of this mess.

Ed H

Thanks

For anyone wanting to check it out - http://www.magentic.com/.

A quick look at the site doesn't give any clues as to how to uninstall. Did it have it's own uninstall routine, or did you use the CP Add/Remove Programs?

Lounger
    Thanks

It does have an un-install routine, but surprise surprise, when I try to do an un-stall it would ask if I wanted to remove the wallpaper and screensaver as well. I checked the box and it goes through the routine but Magentic was not un-installed. Next I went to control panel and tried it that way but that did not work either. I then used McAfee QuickClean to remove it. Now here is the crunch I now get the "None" in both Wallpaper and Screensaver screens, and although the are a number of options listed I can do a selection and when I click "Apply" there is a change but as soon as I click "Ok" the options would revert back to "None" when I check to see if the change was saved.
    Situation is getting worse.

Ed H

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm continuing my Googling on it and boy, are there lots and lots of hits, but I can't find anything so far about removal or ill effects afterward. Most of the hits I'm getting are about the gazillion downloads of the software!

Was the installation recent enough that you might have a restore point you could revert Windows to?

Lounger
    Thanks

Now this is even stranger than fiction:
    I have the software on a laptop running Win XP HE and there is no problem with changing wallpaper or screensaver to non-magentic ones. So there is something definitely wrong with my computer running Win XP Pro.

This is gonna be a long night.

Ed H