Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Spam trends over the past 3 months

People might be interested in the attached histogram, which shows the numbers of emails classified as spam (the lower, blue, bars) and as valid messages (the pale yellow bars) as trapped by our spam-handling program over the past three months.

The highest total number of messages per day is just over 400. I would point out that this graph includes only those messages addressed to real members of staff; those to "cuddles@ourdomain.org.uk" and "a1aa11aaa@ourdomain.org.uk", and so on, have already been binned and don't appear.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spam trends over the past 3 months

Spammers apparently live faster than we, for there's a cycle that lasts slightly less than a week (about 6.5 days)

In my own spam box, I've noticed that there is also some kind of cycle in the subject: some days, they mainly want to enhance certain body parts, on other days, they kindly offer to enhance my financial situation, and on yet other days, they have replicas of expensive consumer goods for sale.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing, you can see a definite, if slight, increase in trend.
    Jerry

Thanks

I have been tracking the flow of incoming mail through Postini, our filtering service. As you can see, about a third of the mail meets the firm's and users' individual filtering preferences (individuals can choose a level from 1 -- permissive -- to 5 -- strict). The unfiltered portion reflects invalid user names, while the bounced portion reflects mail that is rejected without even being quarantined. If not for this bouncing feature, we would go insane checking the quarantine!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Something else that strikes me is that many spammers don't bother to generate plausible subjects and sender names any more. I just got an e-mail from 'have partnered' with subject 'problem burrower snap try'. I must admit it sounds poetic...