3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2003 - opening in Office 2000 (XP, Office 2000 SP3)

Hello all,
    Looking for some information:
    I had always understood that if someone using, saying Excel 2000 or Word 2003, received a document created in Excel 2003 or Word 2003 they could open it. I am finding that this is not the case for many of our users so I've downloaded the viewer which resolves the issue. I've searched Microsoft.com and am currently continuing a search and waiting (!) on Microsoft's response, but so far have not been able to come up with a definitive answer. It occurred to me that some of you may have encountered this and may have some more feedback. Thank you. Paddy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2003 - opening in Office 2000 (XP, Office 2000 SP3)

In general, unless the sender has password-protected the document (or workbook), anyone should be able to open it.

- Can you discover a pattern in the type or content of the documents that cannot be opened?
    - Can you discover a pattern in which users can't open documents?
    - Could you post a document (with non-sensitive content) that cannot be opened by some of your users?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response Hans!
    I've just found a post at the microsoft.public.office.misc newsgroup and to quote the MVP who responded to an inquiry:
    "compatible in both directions with Office 2000 Professional". Hmm. As to patterns, so far with I can see no pattern at all and there was no password protection on either Excel or Word. I do recall that when my law firm merged with another about 6 years ago we disabled many of the converters to discourage users opening and using WordPerfect files as Word since we were running into a issues with document corruption, and as well, wanted users to stop using WP but I would have thought that only the WP converters were disabled.

As far as posting a document, I'm working via remote access right now and would have to clean out the sensitive information. I will try to get the lawyer's permission on this on Monday.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Office applications don't need any converters to read their own documents, and the file format for Word documents and for Excel workbooks hasn't changed between Office 97 and Office 2003, so there shouldn't be a problem opening .doc and .xls files.

If you take the trouble of cleaning a document, make sure that the cleaned version still can't be opened by the user(s) who had problems opening the original version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange and stranger. and thanks again. I'll check with my manager and programmer on Monday but I just wonder if when we set QuickView as a defualt viewer if it was set to as the default viewer for file types other than Office 2000 files. I'll post back to update on what I find.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,
    Currently someone is checking to see what viewers have been disabled. Had a few other users do a test by sending them Word & Excel 2003 - out of 5, 4 users were able to open. So I'm thinking we'll probably wait until a user is unable to open and at that point give them the viewer.