Thread: IE 5.5 Issues

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 5.5 Issues

I recently installed IE 5.5 and then experienced this message when using windows explorer.
    "Can not run Unicode version of ATL.DLL on windows 95. Please install the correct version."
    The message appears after clicking on a file icon and once accepted the file can be openned.
    I am running Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222 A.
    Any suggestions about where to find the 'correct version'??
    I also recieved warning message that these files (dxtmsft.dll and thumbvw.dll) may be damaged or corrupted after running te IE 5.5 setup file. This has not produced any known problems but though I would mention this for completeness.
    TIA

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 5.5 Issues

Hi
    Find the atl.dll file and right click. Choose properties. The versions you need are as follows :

For Win98SE - 3.0.8168.0 of 02nd Nov 2000
    For Win 2kP - 3.0.8449.0 of 07th Dec 1999

If yours are incorrect, extract the version you need from your CD. If you can't do this, email me and I'll send you the Win98 version to try out. It's only 68Kb.

About the other two:
    thumbvw.dll : open a file with plenty of graphics in it. Can you view them ok as thumbnails from the View Menu?

dxtmsft.dll : download the lastest version (8.0a) of DirectX from the Windows update site.

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hey merc where are you?
    I sent you an email (copy below) but have not heard back. Can you still help me?
    Original email follows:
    firstly, thanks for your help.
    the details of the atl.dll file on my system are:
    File Version: 3.00.8449
    Product version: 6.00.8449
    Description: ATL Module for Windows NT (Unicode)
    Created: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 11:20:54 AM

i tried two win98 cds i have and the find file application came up blank on both when searching for atl.dll??

when i view any file in windows explorer and select the as web page option from the view menu there is NO thumbnail display at all.

i had downloaded the DirectX update following my post for help. thanks again.

ileacy

Hi Angelo:

You should keep all communications as replys on the board. This way everyone, not just the person you are replying to, can see the answer. E-mails should only be used for specific confidential information or transfer of large files.

rks

Recently I found a possible repair solution. Go to add/remove programs. Highlight IE5, a drop down menu will appear and one of the questions it asks is to repair the program. You might want to try this.