5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Column / Range (Word XP)

I need to clean up some formatting in columns 4 and 5 of a Word table. (Phone number with inconsistent dots, dashes and parens.) I have written a macro that uses Range.Find.Execute with a replacement value. This works well... too well. Since columns don't have a range property, I set the range for the column by first selecting the column and then Set rng = Selection.Range.

Sometimes, not always, the Find/Replace also affects other columns in the table. Is there a more precise way to set a range for the specific columns involved so that Fine/Replce is better contained within the specific column?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Thanks

Re: Column / Range (Word XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 22-Oct-06 10:11. Added cross-references.)</P>Ordinary Word ranges run left-to-right, so they cannot be limited to a single column of a table without including the intervening cells. Your choice of a selection is the best way to get at just the cells in a single column without looping (i.e., running the search for each individual cell at a particular row and column). If your table has merged cells, well...

Added: The link provided by HansV in an earlier thread of similar name (Column / Range (Word 2002)) may shed more light on this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Column / Range (Word XP)

No merged cells, but I do realize the best way is to iterate through the rows, defning a range for the cell/column that I need. There doesn't seen to be a loss of speed, and it's definitely more precise.