3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System volume info weirdness (XP Pro SP2)

Several months ago I turned off System restore for one of my logical drives, as I only keep downloaded files and installation images there. Today I got a warning that this drive was running low on space, and find that the System Volume Information on that drive is 1.4GB. I double checked that system restore was indeed not monitoring this drive (and it isn't). Tried to delete the folder and couldn't (because files were in use), and noticed that all the files in the catalog subfolder had today's date. How can that be if Windows is not monitoring this drive? Is the system restore data distributed across drives, or should each drive only hold its own restore data?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System volume info weirdness (XP Pro SP2)

If System Restore is turned off on this drive and System Volume Information folder is recreated anyway (I presume you deleted it after turning off System Restore, did you?), that means, another program uses it.

Do you run any third-party utilities, as Norton SystemWorks?
    Do you use virtual computers (as Microsoft Virtual PC) on this computer?
    Did you install dual-boot on this computer?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

Can't remember if I deleted it when I originally disabled system restore for this drive - think I naively assumed it would clear up after itself. Cannot now delete it as files are always in use.

Dual boot with Mandrake Linux, but don't see how that would affect things. No virtual PC or similar.

Am running Norton, but disabling protection for this drive doesn't help, and, in my experience, emptying norton protected files usually does seem to do just that - with considerable increase in free space, but doesn't seem to affect this folder at all (it's usually the size of the "recycler" folder on NTFS drives that shrinks - although this is a FAT drive).

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Culprit located with Filemon, which I remembered was lurking somewhere.

It was the windows indexing service, which I hadn't even realised was turned on, and have no idea why the catalog should be on this drive (and didn't seem to be configurable).

Sorted now, thanks.