3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

need advice on tools (xp surrent)

I apologize for making such a pest of myself over the last few weeks - the end is in sight. Finally got new box with XP-Pro installed and am on the last leg of getting all of the software installed and running.

Old system -win2k-pro - was running Commercial version of Zone Alarm firewall, free version of AVG antivirus, and Spyware Doctor for malware. The new box came with WinXP firewall (this may be McAfees's firewall) and a subscription to the McaFee virus and malware tools I don't know how long the subscription is good for - probably could find out but haven't.

I'm sure some of you have been in a similar situation - I need opinions about whether to leave everything as is for the present, or take the time to go back to my original trusted tool set.

I haven't had any experience with McAfee's stuff so not sure what to do.

I feel like I am protected at this time, but am wondering about taking the time and effort to reinstall the packages I was running.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: need advice on tools (xp surrent)

Firstly, the Windows Firewall is all Microsoft and has nothing to do with McAfee. Secondly, I would avoid McAfee and the Windows Firewall anyway. Personal preference on the former, proven difficulty with the latter.

If you've paid for the ZoneAlarm license, use it. Spyware Doctor, no experience there, but there are highly rated products (Webroot Spy Sweeper is a good bet) if you're looking for something else. Otherwise... use what you've got.

As for antivirus, AVG is a solid option. Again, personal preference here, but I prefer Avast! to AVG's offering, for me it seems to perform better. Whatever you do, get AV software up and running fast. Like as soon as you finish reading this post.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: need advice on tools (xp surrent)

thanks - I replaced all of Mcafees tools with my own
    Tom