Thanks

Restoring older files (2003 SP2)

I just restored a copy of a file from my backup because I realised I had done a Save instead of a Save As, and had not kept a version I had wanted to. No problem - I run an automated daily backup. So I fired up ZipBackup, located the file I wanted and clicked the restore button. But when I then looked at the file in My Documents, it had not reverted to the version I wanted. I had to open the backup zip file, manually extract the file I wanted, copy it to My Documents and tell Windows that I really did want to replace the newer version with the older one.

I assume that when I used the restore button in ZipBackup, Windows automatically prevented me from putting back the older version of the file without asking me. Is there any way of making it ask?

Ian

Thanks

Re: Restoring older files (2003 SP2)

I think I can answer my own question. It wasn't Windows that did it. I think I clicked the restore button prematurely in ZipBackup before I had clicked Next enough times to get me to the screen for setting Overwrite Options, so it was left on the Never Overwrite selection. I should be more patient!

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know it's not germain, Ian, but maybe beneficial to you in the future. I don't use Zipbackup, but whenever I have a need to restore selected file(s) from backup, I always bring it/them back to the hard drive to my "Temp" subdirectory, so THEN I can close the backup and use Windows Explorer to put the file wherever I need it to go.

Thanks

Thanks. Maybe that's a safer approach.

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al's advice is pretty good. You can get into all sorts of trouble when restoring older directory structures from tape to disk, say, and I would always tell the restore to begin the tree at a new location. It will take a little more effort to put the old file(s) back at the correct location, but at least you won't run the risk of overwriting stuff that hasn't yet been backed up today!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I heartily agree with Al & John too. I always take a similar approach when restoring files.

Joe
    Joe