Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

IE7 bonus (XP SP2)

I have a computer that had 3 or 4 critical updates that wouldn't 'take', no matter how many times I tried. This is an older laptop that is in semi-retirement with a dead battery, but that had various upgrades and runs XP and its applications very well at 600 MHz. Because I don't use it but I do keep it as a grab-and-go device I didn't have the time to fiddle with these updates, which probably would have required editing the registry.

I hoped that at least one update would be taken care of by installing IE7, but to my delight the IE7 installation cured the lot of them. Whichever browser you prefer for browsing, having an updater that works where it didn't before (on that machine) is a significant bonus. YMMV.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE7 bonus (XP SP2)

Thanks for sharing.

There may not be too many loungers who will be in quite the same position as you were - but you never know!
    Gre

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE7 bonus (XP SP2)

It was my impression that Windows Update uses Internet Explorer, which would mean that it affects every user who keeps his computer up to date at least once a month. If IE7 is a more reliable updater than its predecessors, then that should interest everyone. If it is buggy, then users will really howl. So far as I know, I am the only person to report any experience one way or the other in this regard. It is everyone's updater, with the exception of those who look up the updates and download them with another browser and install them manually, or who go through a third party.