2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update field contents (2002)

I know this is a silly thing that I've probably done a number of times before but I just can't think how......

I have a form with 2 unbound fields in the form header which are used to select data from a table and the returned fields in the detail section (a continuous form). QuantityIssued, DeliveryStock and StockTake. If I enter values into these fields then move to either of the unbound fields to change data, the changes to the 3 fields aren't saved. If I move to a new record before going to either of the unbound fields then the changes are saved.
    I know it's something really dumb, but how do I force the update of this record when I move to the unbound selection boxes

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update field contents (2002)

The default action for Access is to save a record automatically. We'd need to know more about your form and how the unbound text boxes work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Should it save even when I haven't left the record? or should moving to the unbound fields in the form be enough to update the record?
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, just clicking in one of the unbound text boxes won't save the record. Access saves the record when you move to another record or close the form.
    Why should the record be saved when you click in one of those text boxes?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could put code in the On Enter event of the text boxes. Say you have a text box txtThis:
    <code>
    Private Sub txtThis_Enter()
    If Me.Dirty Then
    RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
    End If
    End Sub
    </code>
    You must do this for both text boxes in the form header.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would like the record to be updated when I move to either of the unbound fields.
    When I update the unbound fields, they run queries to append new records to the table (these include a date and also look up the values of the previous day and if neccessary amend todays values. The problem is that if I didn't move to another record before changing the date in the unbound field then the values I look up haven't been modified, hence I need a method of forcing an update when I move from the detail section to the unbound fields.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent - many thanks. I did think it was something about the OnDirty function, but didn't know what to use to do the record update.
    Looking at the options available for RunCommand they seem to be the choices available via the Access menus - is this correct?
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, RunCommand provides the VBA equivalent of many of the menu options available in Access. For example, if you wanted to display the Find dialog, you'd use Edit | Find, and the VBA equivalent is

RunCommand acCmdFind