cgschlangen

USB-B to Parallel Printer Cable

I bought a multi-function printer/scanner/copy/fax machine and need to hook it up to my computer...
    Problem is - the computer has no USB ports (and installing them isn't an option) - I'm looking for one of those magic USB to Parallel printer cables that I'm sure exist - but haven't been able to find... I've found USB Type A to Parallel Printer cables - but because the printer only has a USB-B port on it - I need a USB type B to Parallel Printer cable...
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB-B to Parallel Printer Cable

If this isn't what you need, they probably have it somewhere on their site: USB To Parallel Printer Cable, 6ft, AP1305-BG, Ziotek at Cyberguys.com

Thanks

Al, I think that's the wrong way round. It looks like a USB (type A) to a centronics (printer end) cable - connecting a PC with USB to a printer with a parallel port.
    If I read the post correctly, what Dan wants is a PC parallel port - 25-way D-type connector - to a USB (type [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] which I'm not sure exists.

cgschlangen

Leif, You summed everything up perfectly... I'm not sure it exists either (as much as tech needs are supported now-a-days I'd find it hard to believe not...) but figured if there was anyplace to ask around it'd be here...
    I'm not in a huge hurry - but am standing by for help...

Would the one above work provided I had yet another adapter for the usb type a to type b? just thinking...
    Thanks again,
    Dan

Thanks

Nope. The Centronics connector is like nothing else - see this pic which shows how different they are.
    You need a cable with the 25-way D-type as shown on the left to connect to your PC.

If you have a serial port, you can get RS232-to-USB converters, but the only ones I've seen have the wrong type of USB connector... see this for example.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Leif, you're absolutely right. Sorry, Dan. S'funny that I was in my car on the way to "work" and was thinking about USB gender changers when it suddenly occured to me that the "blue" connector on that cable I referenced was for the printer end, not the computer end. I just did a couple more looks and didn't see anything, so I don't know, so far...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I know it's not what you're looking for, but it is a possible solution. Linksys has this print server / switch combination device which will allow you to share the USB printer to all present (and future) computers on your network. It has a built in 4-port 10/100 switch, allowing expansion of an (existing or new) network.

Other home / small business networking companies create similar devices - you may just find a good fit with one of them.
    Christopher Baldrey