2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Task Updates & Status Reports Don't get Sent (O2K, Win98)

My colleagues' tasks keep saying they've sent updates when status changes, but I've watched the outbox to prove nothing is sent.
    Can anyone suggest what setting I've missed?
    They get the task Ok when I assign to them, but the only way I know what they've done is if they send a status report which is a separate message and doesn't change the status of the task on my pc.
    If they assign a task to me, their machine gets an update whenever I change its status.
    I'm confused.!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Task Updates & Status Reports Don't get Sent (O2K, Win98)

My understanding of how assigned tasks work is this :
    When the task is initially assigned, the sender receives an automatic message specifying what action the receiver has taken (i.e Accept or Reject)
    There are no automatic intermediate status reports sent by the receiver's message system (i.e for when they mark the task 20% complete, 40% etc) until they mark it 100% complete. At this point, Outlook sends the assigner a status message saying that the task is complete.
    Responsibility for intermediate updates belongs to the receiver who has explicitly to send a status report.
    So the behaviour you see from the delegates tasks is as I expect it to be. I can't explain how updates get sent for your task status changes.
    Cheers
    Silverback

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by DMc on 16-Jul-01 23:31.</FONT></P>Quoting from the Advanced Tasks Options dialogue, I have ticked the option:
    "Keep updated copies of assigned tasks on my task list"
    For which the help says:
    "Saves a copy on your task list of each task you assign to others and automatically updates the task any time the status of the task changes."
    What's more, the assigned task I gave my colleague says it's sent an update, each time I close it, in the information band at the top of the task tab in the task itself.
    But their pcs NEVER send any updates - even when they accept the task or mark it complete. Only if they send a status report - which is a separate email message NOT an update for the task itself.
    How about assigning a task to me - dmccook@ozemail.com.au & seeing what happens???
    Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tested this more, & I've got 2 pcs that can assign eachother tasks and the rest can't.
    When it behaves correctly, the assignee has the assigners name in the update list on the details tab of the task.
    When it doesn't work, there's no name in the update list.
    I get the impression no-one else actually uses this feature?
    It'd be great for my management requirements if it just worked as it should! :-(
    HELP!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gee this is not up to the Lounge's usual standard! I keep having to post my own replies!
    Silver & I have worked out that when I assign a task to him ( or any singular person), the task he gets says it's assigned to multiple people????
    If some guru can help me work out WHY that's happening I'd be tickled. It actually seems to me that there's a flag set somewhere that's being misinterpreted. But why do some of my assignees get the correct task form & some don't!
    HELLLLPPPP!!!