Thread: duplicates (XP)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

duplicates (XP)

See attached test spreadsheet - need to find duplicates in each column with a yellow-filled column header - know there should be some easy way to locate these duplicates and conditionally format them - am having a whole senior day and can't figure it out - again, help please.

Aunt Linda

Thanks

Re: duplicates (XP)

In D2 set the conditional formatting to the formula:
    =COUNTIF(A:A,A2)>1

Copy the format to all the appropriate cells

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, Steve - I knew I wouldn't be clear. There are 330 thousand entries on the "real" sheet - the person asking me to help her needs to give refunds to all the people who paid more than one time - I don't even work for her company so can't even tell you exactly what she needs. Just 'cause you tried, and I'm sure could care less but I'll write in anyway - I sorted the whole thing by payee and then by claim number - it looked to me like eyeballing it from there wouldn't be very difficult - she's on her own now.

You have a great day and again - thanks for trying!

Aunt Linda

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You still are not clear on what you want to do.

1- Are these 330,000 entries on more than one sheet? There can only be 65,536 rows on one sheet!

2- What are you looking for duplicated on? Must all 5 of the hilited columns be the same before there is a duplicate?
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And now you see why I can't explain this to any of you - oops on the 333,000 - one too many three's -

They are all on one sheet - I explained to Steve - I really am not clear either on what she wants so I quit. She isn't answering my emails with specific questions so we can help her so - too bad for her!

thanks anyway

Thanks

I presumed duplicates just within a column. If you are looking items the same in multiple columns, I would use Advanced filter to extract out the "unique items" to a different location and then the whole database could be deleted and just have the unique things.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still not clear what she wants - I've asked her to call me so we can actually TALK about this and not just email back and forth - that's just nuts.

I get the feeling she imported this whole thing from somewhere in her gigantic company and that many, many people entered this data with no single source of control. If she and I ever actually speak and sort out what she needs . . . I'll be back!