New Lounger
    Thanks

Themes... can they be edited? (Word 2003 SP2)

A friend has used a theme for her document... it almost has the format that she wants, but not quite. Can themes be edited? Could she save this as a personal theme and then edit it?

TIA,
    gg

Thanks

Re: Themes... can they be edited? (Word 2003 SP2)

I don't think I've heard of "themes" for Office 2003, so this might not answer your question.

Word uses a system of templates from which you create new documents. If she uses Save As and chooses Document Template, then any new document based on that template will start with the same formatting and styles. However, some elements do not carry over, such as AutoText entries. These can be moved into the new template manually using the "Organizer".

New Lounger
    Thanks

Themes in Word are found under Format|Themes. It is kind of like master slide formats in PPT, but I don't know whether the user can modify them and save them with a new name.

I understand templates... perhaps that what my co-worker should create and use.

gg

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Themes are shared by all Office applications. Apparently you can customize them in FrontPage, see for example Microsoft Office Assistance: Change the styles used in a theme and Microsoft Office Assistance: Change the graphics used in a theme.

Thanks

Oh, that's interesting. Hmmmm. This seems to be for developing web pages, which might explain why I didn't notice it (yet).

As a test I downloaded a new template/theme from the MS web site, and it didn't change the Themes dialog. Instead, I got a DOT file that already had the theme applied. So I think the template option should be viable for regular documents.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all... I am passing this along to my co-worker (a non-Woody person, so far) for her to play with.
    gg